Funny story- wanted to share

iVillage Member
Funny story- wanted to share
Mon, 09-28-2009 - 1:11pm

DH has an old friend who lives in France. They met 20+ years ago when the friend came to the US as a foreign exchange student, and the men just got back in touch via Facebook.

Anyway, he's come to visit us a few times and I just adore him. This past visit, he brought his girlfriend, who I really like, too. Her English isn't that great, and my French is terrible. We got tired of having DH's friend translate everything for us...turns out we both speak Spanish fairly well! At least enough to get by.

SO there we were, with our visitors from France, speaking Spanish. LOL It was quite a night and I had such a good time having all that language in my house! ;)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-29-2009 - 7:42am

Great story.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-02-2009 - 12:15pm
I agree that is a great story!

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-03-2009 - 10:14am

LOL! At least you all found a common language.

It reminds me of when my then-BF, who is German, and I went to Sulawesi. BF wanted to go to the area where they build schooners the traditional way, and so off we went. In a little bus station, a lady said that her parents had taken in a French boarder who was there to supervise the construction of his boat. She also said that there would be no minibuses by 4 pm, that there was no hotel, hostels or camping ground but that we could stay at her parents. Since it was 3.30 pm we followed her.

True enough there was a Frenchman there, studiously drafting the plans to his boat as it was being built. The villagers would build by intuition and from experience, and each day the Frenchman would take measurements and draw them in and once a week fax the drawing to a naval architect in France to make sure that his boat was seaworthy.

That evening, whilst we were having dinner, it turned out that he had lived a long time in South America, where then-BF had lived and had grown up (and where my ex-fiance had come from, which is how I picked up Spanish). Since then-BF's French was a tad too rusty to follow our quick French, we all switched to Spanish. My Spanish was a tad too rusty to speak, but at least I understood!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-03-2009 - 2:05pm

That's a great story! I love how we can manage to communicate even if our language skills aren't the best.

These days, I have some friends that I only speak to in Finnish. We went to our Finnish language course together, so we all know the language decently well. The funniest I have found though, is when a group of us got together:
a Kenyan, Hungarian, Russian, Estonian, American and French.. and we all spoke Finnish. Not a single Finn around, but that was the language that we all had in common.

Twilight-Quotes

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 3:06am

Hey Poppy.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-05-2009 - 3:13am

We are also a mixed bag of friends here too but somehow the common, fluent, language we all have tends to be English.