Does your household celebrate Christm...

iVillage Member
Does your household celebrate Christm...
Wed, 12-02-2009 - 7:20am

Does your household celebrate Christmas and the New Year?

• Yes, we celebrate both.
  • No, we only celebrate Christmas.
  • No, we only celebrate the New Year.
  • Neither, we celebrate something else at this time of year.
  • Other, explain.

You will be able to change your vote.

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 1:48am

I don't celebrate Christmas, but a few of my friends do so one way or another I'll help them celebrate Christmas.

As for New Year, it's always nice to be able to do nothing and just sleep but I suspect that this year it will be different ;-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 3:44am

Do you have any other traditions that take place around this time of year in your country Poppy?

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 11:12am

Not this year, Tulip.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 7:47am

”Not this year, Tulip.”

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 11:57am
We celebrate both. We combine a bit of different traditions for both Christmas and New Years. For example, DH's family eat 12 grapes, one for each time the church bell rings on New Years. I think you are supposed to make a wish for each grape. It is kind of funny to see everyone stuffing grapes in their mouths. We usually just stay at home on New Years and hang out with the kids. They can stay up until midnight if they want. Usually they stay up just until midnight and then fall asleep right after ;)

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

Photobucket

Photobucket

Bilingual Families

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-05-2009 - 6:05am

*Technically* I am Muslim, which means that I help the family celebrate but I'm not actually practising (though I really wouldn't convert to any other religion, either).

The Muslim calendar is a lunar one, so the dates of the festivals shift ahead by about 10 days compared to the Gregorian caledar e.g.: if a festival fall on December 10 this year, next year it'll be celebrated around the 1st of December.

I don't think there will be any important holidays in December for a few more years.

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-05-2009 - 11:34am
It's complex in our household. We have no Christians in our household, however we do secularly celebrate Christmas with some family members. My son and I celebrate Winter Solstice/Yule. New Years Day is normally celebrated somehow, but to what extent differs every year dependent on if my son goes to visit with other family or his dad as well as if/when my partner is working.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-07-2009 - 7:24am

Ah, yes.