Yay! Bilingual in montreal

iVillage Member
Yay! Bilingual in montreal
Fri, 12-11-2009 - 12:02pm
I just moved to Montreal (French speaking city in Canada) with my husband and two daughters- one of them was born here three months ago.

My husband speaks French, I speak French like a toddler, haha. My eldest daughter is in French immersion preschool. I want her to feel comfortable as soon as possible. What tools are you using to help your toddler learn a second language?

We're currently:

1. Checking out French books at the library
2. Watching only French television (besides the Food Network for me). She watches mostly the Little Pim French series- foreign language instruction, partly animated and loves it.
3. Keeping some words "French only" such as "chocolat chaud" for "hot chocolate."

Any other tips? She's already almost better than I am!

Mommy's Company.com, the #1 online magazine for entrepreneur moms- as seen on ABC- is for sale!

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-13-2009 - 7:26pm

Yay! That's where I grew up and my parents also sent us to French immersion, too.

I don't have kids and my nephew has always been in bilingual schools since he was 2. What I do remember is that when we came back here, both my brothers (then 4 and 8) picked up the language pretty quickly both at school and especially at home through playing with neighbouring kids. It took them only 3 or 4 months before they were up to speed on language, whilst it took me a year and a half of daily lessons to properly master it enough. I was 12 and in grade 7 by then.

I always give my friends' children's music CDs and movie DVDs in the other language, as well as books so that they keep up with the second language especially since they only speak it at home and with a few people.

Hope this helps and welcome to the board!

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-14-2009 - 7:29am

Hi bunmi_mompreneur.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-15-2009 - 12:53pm
Welcome to the board! I think your will have an advantage since they attend French immersion school. I know what you mean about speaking like a toddler LOL. I am trying to learn Spanish and most little kids are better than me.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

Photobucket

Photobucket

Bilingual Families

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 7:32am

Hey bunmi_mompreneur…. how is it going in Montreal for you and your family?