Fitting it into your daily life….

iVillage Member
Fitting it into your daily life….
Sun, 01-24-2010 - 3:09pm

QOTW

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 10:23pm

My nephew goes to a bilingual school, so they pretty much learn in two languages and about two cultures. They read books in English and in Indonesian, and they also have a class that will also expose them to the culture of the Jakarta people. He listens to all sorts of music - mostly pop and rock - by bands and singers from around the world. He gets glimpses of Western culture through movies and through school (through books, mainly) and he often asks me about these.

As for us, we watch both Indonesian TV and we have cable, too. My mother watches both Indonesian and foreign news channels (US, UK mainly). I get my news from the BBC, as well as news site from the US and the UK, and local newspaper sites. My friends are from a bit everywhere around the world and some had postings elsewhere. We celebrate each other's festivities and traditions (coming up: Chinese New Year!), and eat different kinds of foods, too. Music-wise I tend to listen to everything except Indonesian music. I really should, and I should really start watching movies but sometimes that's painful (ssshhhh!). I also get my daily dose of French and Italian TV!

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 5:11pm

I have French tv at home and I usually have in the background.
We speak creole to her so she will be familiar with it.
I have also asked her father to help out with the german part since he's the best person for that.

Since she's only one- it's hard to tell how well the exposure is working out

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 12:08am

Do you get TV 5 Monde?

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 2:18am

We have TV 5 here.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 12:54pm
Living close to a big city (Chicago) we get channels in all kinds of languages (Spanish, Polish, Korean, Chinese, Russian). I'm sure there are probably some that I am forgetting. I have watched most of the channels just to see what they are about. Some of the them have English subtitles so I can kind of follow them.

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

Photobucket

Photobucket

Bilingual Families

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian