Need Some Opinions Please

iVillage Member
Need Some Opinions Please
Wed, 02-24-2010 - 7:28pm

Today in a faculty meeting, my principal told everyone that next year we would probably be doing the Spanish classes through distance learning with the other school in the county. There are only 2 Spanish teachers at my school, and this is the first I was told of it. Maybe I'm just freaking out, but I don't see how high schoolers can learn (adequately anyway) a foreign language through distance learning. I can't talk to them one-on-one, we can't have practice conversations in class, etc. Plus, I teach the Spanish 3 class, and once a week, we have a round table discussion, where we just chat. I give them topics, but sometimes we stray. It's just to get them talking and communicating with one another. Other than saving the school district money by not hiring another teacher, are there any benefits you can think of?

BTW, I'm also freaking out because I already have 150 students. How am I going to keep track of more?

Photobucket

Photobucket 

<
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 3:00am
There is no audio-conferencing software available? I know that it is becoming quite common to provide language practice/instruction via Skype, but that is one-on-one. There are also ways to do this in groups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

Plato

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 7:18am

Does the other school have any Spanish teachers or the lack of a teacher at the other school the reason why they want to start the distance learning?

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 10:05am

It does sound a bit difficult.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 10:00pm
I asked today about the technology aspect. The teacher is videotaped on day one. And on day two, the other school's students watch that tape. No live interaction at all. Our school, like many, is facing budget issues, so DL will cost us $5000 to get in place, but a teacher could cost $30000 or more.

Photobucket

Photobucket 

<
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-26-2010 - 5:26am

I sort of figured this would be due because of budget cuts.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-27-2010 - 7:11am
Again the budget cuts restrict just how much technology we will have. But I went in to my asst. principal and told that I was not willing to teach DL even if it meant giving up the tenure opportunity. She told me that because I teach the Spanish 3, and it always has to be done during a certain period, that the other teacher would have to do the DL. I spoke with the other teacher and she's okay with it. So I guess all is good.

Photobucket

Photobucket 

<
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-27-2010 - 9:30am

Well then, it seems all is settled and everyone is happy.

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-28-2010 - 9:16am

Am coming in late as I've been out-of-town, and I am glad that this has resolved itself in a good way for you.

I can't imagine students being able to learn anything through this kind of distance learning where there isn't any interaction of any kind...