raising my bilingual son

iVillage Member
raising my bilingual son
Sun, 03-21-2010 - 10:33am
When my 3 year old son was born i stayed at home with home with him for the first 8 months. When I went back to work We found a french nanny (we live in france) he is now fluent in french and although he understands everything I say to him in english he almost always replies in french. He sometimes mixes the two languages but i have been told this is normal. I gave up my job about 8 months ago so I could spend more time at home with my son and help improve his english. I would love to hear from other parents who are raising bilingual children. Thanks!

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-21-2010 - 11:02am

Hi leanne and welcome to the board.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-21-2010 - 12:30pm

I

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 5:45am

Is your dh French or American? Will your child go to a French school or to an American one?

In general, the dominant language outside the home, and especially the language at school, will be one the child learns without too much effort. I know your kid is not yet school age, but he will be soon enough.

So, at home the key is to support the minority language. The easiest is to have a complete minority language zone at home. If you and dh are both American, this will be quite easy. You also want to make sure that you provide a language context beyond just chatting with the parents. Make sure you read to him in English every day, have English-language videos, get him together with other English-speakers as much as possible, and when the time comes make sure he becomes literate in English.

I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.

James A. Baldwin

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 10:08am

I wanted to share my story.

I am a native Russian speaker married to an English speaker living in US. I also work full time.

Creator of Russian/English audiobooks www.duotales.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 9:15pm

Hi Leanne,

My parents brought us up trilingual - Indonesian, French and English. We were in French Immersion at school and since my father was a fluent French speaker himself, that was the language that I spoke with him at home, too. I would speak to my mother and our housekeeper in Indonesian, but afterward I switched to speaking to my mother in English.

Friends of mine who are South American but live in France would always speak to their kids in Spanish at home and have a policy of not understanding French if their kids did spoke to them in that language. My best friend in Holland speaks to her children in Indonesian at home, and they go to Dutch schools and speak Dutch with their father, cousins and that family.

As a lot of people have said, the key is being consistent with it and to introduce English in many different ways.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 6:16am

Welcome to the board duotales and sharing your story/experience with us.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 10:12am

Hello cl-tulip4u2002

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 8:42am

Well, I’m glad you found us.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 1:38pm
Thank you - mee too !

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 1:04pm

I missed your quesion about going back often :)

I try to go every year. But I haven't being home for last 2 years. Not enough vacation time :)

Pages