want to raise bilingual kid...but how?

iVillage Member
want to raise bilingual kid...but how?
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 7:32pm

My husband is fluent in English and Spanish, with Spanish being his first language.

Manda :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 4:36am

Hello Manda and welcome to the board!

We are also a bilingual family and I only speak English to my DS while dh speaks Turkish to him.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 6:59am

Tulip's advice is good.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 1:29pm

Welcome to the board!

Sarah...mommy to Janessa and Julian

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 7:19pm
Well we do live in the U.S., New Mexico actually.

Manda :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 11:27pm

Hi Manda!

My Chilean friends brought up their children speaking Spanish-only at home (they lived in France). The rule was that they would only speak Spanish at home to each other, and if the kids would speak French to them the parents face would purposefully go blank. It was a little bit tough when they first went to school, but a few weeks later the French words and correct sentences would come out because they would have previously picked up some French from the playground, from TV and from non-Spanish speakers like me. By the end of the first semester of school, those kids were fully bilingual.

My parents brought us up trilingual for the most part (we're Indonesia, but we spent part of our childhood in Montreal, going to a school offering French immersion classes), but both my brothers lost their French when we moved back here. It's still in their brains somewhere, but not having a need for it and having had to adapt from living in North American to living here pushed the knowledge aside. I still spoke French since I was older and it kind of became the language I most identified with, plus I later went to school in France.

Speaking another language not only opens up job opportunities, but it also opens up so many different worlds through the culture. Ah, to read some South American authors in the original language or to watch some movies in the original version... With all due respects to some of the extremely talented translators out there, but you just can't compare!