Have you or someone in your household...

iVillage Member
Have you or someone in your household...
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 6:40am

Have you or someone in your household felt they’ve been a subject of “profiling”

• Yes
  • No
  • Undecided

You will be able to change your vote.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 9:37am

I've not voted because I don't know what kind of profiling you meant ~ from the authorities and legal institutions and businesses or from individuals or both?

Let's see... back in the 70s people couldn't believe that my family lived in the big house on the corner or the big boulevard. A lot of my schoolmates' parents thoughts that it was probably a multi-family home, because of course they couldn't conceive that Asians could afford to live in that neighbourhood and especially that house. The Police came one day as my father was working on the lawn, and asking to speak to the owner or tenant of the house was there. My father said yes, went inside, changed clothes and then opened the front door to tell him that he was the tenant. The police officer hadn't expected that (but he apologized.) My parents never had problems with visas and stuff like that since a diplomatic status came along with my father's job.

In Europe back in the 80s there was really no profiling because I am Asian. People would chase after me down the street, usually little old ladies and men, but to ask whether I was from "Indochina" and to tell me about their memories. The day I had a Moroccan boyfriend and was walking in the street with him, though, I saw the expression and looks that the French Caucasians were giving us (well, him.) It was a huge eye opener. He was legal, had a day job, coached a volleyball team and was a volleyball player but those looks were hostile.

Here, whenever I've dated Caucasians, a lot of other foreigners that we met and who didn't know us would assume that we were one of "those" couples. They would assume that I don't speak English let alone French, that I'm not well-educated and that I just want his money. They would glance at me and promptly ignore me, automatically putting me alongside women of loose morals and/or who pick up foreigner in order to be financially secure. It's interesting to see their attitudes change once I open my mouth and talk, but it's also tiring and insulting. I wasn't even wearing skimpy clothes.

In Italy mostly no problems at all except for the man who spat on me for who knows what reason. I was nicely dressed that day, I was on my street, I was just walking home.

ETA: I was profiled when I asked for a transit visa to the US (was flying to Montreal), pre-2001. I was single, spoke English well, was in-between jobs. The consular officer basically told me that I had to give him guarantees that I would not disappear in Detroit to be an illegal immigrant or to try to get married to an American to get a Green Card. It was difficult not to take it personally because he used "you" instead of presenting the whole thing in a neutral context. I couldn't resist asking why I'd give up a life of great privilege here for life as an illegal in the US. I still had to bring the deeds to my houses and proof that I own an active company here, though!

Edited 6/8/2010 10:01 am ET by libelulle
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 9:38am

See my previous question before I can answer this!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 9:56am

By profiling I was referring to being singled out based upon your race, ethnicity, religion, nationality or any other particular identity.

To answer Poppy’s question it could be profiling from anyone; authorities, legal institutions, individuals, businesses, etc…

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 10:10am
Do you get profiled in Turkey, Tulip?

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 10:45am
Poppy, I tend to agree "automatically putting me alongside women of loose morals and/or who pick up foreigner in order to be financially secure".
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 11:00am

When I lived in Florence, many Italians saw American and British girls as "easier" as in more willing to have sex with men they've only known a short while, especially compared to Italian girls (there's that misconception here, too.)

Just because a few are like that doesn't mean that all are like that! It was a problem for those who were more choosy because some Italian boys and men thought "speaks English = will sleep with me".

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 2:03am

Hmmm now this turns weird...sort of yes, by my husband. He is from the Former DDR/GDR or East Germany. When he went West to attend the Uni, he had plenty of comments. They can tell due to dialect and such. It actually is still a problem sometimes between the East and West people here. It is finally getting better but there is still a stigma on Eastern people.

Thankfully he is a hard worker and if we were to move West he wouldn't have a problem securing a job.

It was funny, I went to a football game 2 months ago and was reading the crap in the bathrooms. It was Western girls are ugly and fat...or Eastern girls are ugly and fat and who**s, bit**es...ect...there was much written on both sides. I can only think, you have got to be kidding me? Right? This is within the same country, and the people are of the same color!

Other than that we are ok, I look German so I don't really have many problems until I speak...then I get the funny looks. Sometimes it is more shock...

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker

Lilypie Zweiter Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 2:32am

Remember I’ve been living abroad, and not just here, for many years.