Inroducing myself!

iVillage Member
Inroducing myself!
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 9:22pm
Hello everyone, I've been absent from iVillage for about a year now and I'm trying to get back on the bicycle so to speak. My name is Candice, my hubby is in the Army, been married for 5 years this September. We have 2 boys, Takeshi, 3 (4 in October) and Kenji,1(2 in November). Our family is black/chinese-vietnamese. My hubby is adopted and was raised Japanese-American by his (Jap/White) family. I've got tons of questions about raising a mixed family and I'm sure the typical questions we all have...about haircare. LOL I look forward to getting to know you guys! Any other black/asian families out there? Also, If anyone has any suggestions on how I can readjust my siggy so it can be seen that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!!!

Photobucket

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 2:20am

Hi Candice and welcome to the board.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 5:41am

Hi Candice

From what I can see your boys look gorgeous!

The writing at the bottom of your siggy says the image has been removed from photobucket so I would just delete that part.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 12:34pm

Hi Candice!

Your boys are just too cute!

I can't remember the size of the message box, but when I make a siggie they are usually 400 to 450 pixels wide so that there's a nice margin to the left and right (yours is 799 pixels.) Maybe it's even possible to go up to 500 but you'll have to ask someone on the signature boards.

My name is Poppy and I'm from (and living in) Indonesia. No spouse or kids. I used to know an iVillager in a mixed black/Asian couple but we lost touch a few years ago.

ETA: Maximum width is 475 pixels.

Edited 8/26/2010 12:41 pm ET by libelulle
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 7:23pm
I had my second child and my husband was deployed about a month after that. By the time I got settled in and adjusted to having two children, I was on my own, so I just didn't have time for iVillage. By the time I got a chance to come back to it so many things and people in my first group had changed, I guess I felt a bit overwhelmed and then got busy with other things. It was a GREAT outlet while I was pregnant with Kenji and I really enjoyed keeping up with everyone in my parenting group.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 2:45am

I can only imagine how hard it was to be alone with two kids.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 9:38am
At the time I was about 1000 miles away from my mom and about 1300 away from my Dad. My brother lives about 200 miles away, but he's got a wife and 3 kids of his own (biracial as well), so I try not to trouble him too much with my stuff. It was difficult, but suprisingly, I manage pretty well on my own. Its odd because during deployments you just blossom into this independent person lol. DH has been back since mid December of 2009, but is already slated to go back before next summer. I'm still 1000 miles away from my mom, but my dad moved down to Houston so he's much closer now.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 9:41am
Thanks for the compliment! I'm going to try to work on my siggy today. So how come your DD only sees herself as Scottish? Maybe its just me, but people from outside of America seem to be so much more culturally rich. I've always wanted to make my way across the water.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 9:43am
Thank you! I"m going to try resizing my siggy today. Its the first one I've made on my own. Hubby got me a Mac, which I've never had, and I was messing with a photo editing software that I'd never used. What is Indonesia like?

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 11:00am

I suppose because she lives in Scotland, looks the same as most people and

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-29-2010 - 7:35pm

You are a good siggy maker!

Indonesia is an archipelago consisting of 17,500 islands (6,000 inhabited). There are 300 to 350 ethnic groups with their own language, culture and art forms, and food.

Its location is just on the sea lane between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean, and over the centuries we've been influenced and enriched by a lot of other cultures, too. It's reflected in the different kingdoms that ruled the archipelago from the year 200 BC - the first ones were Hindu, then Buddhist, then Moslem. You can also see it in our customs, in the literature and other art forms, in our textiles, food, etc. We were colonised by the Dutch for 350 years, then the Japanese during WWII for 3,5 years and we've been a Republic since 1945 though it took another 4 years to have the Dutch and most of the world recognise it.

Jakarta is like many other capital cities in the world - there are people from everywhere and we have to remind ourselves that it isn't Indonesia! The capital has a population of around 9 million and is famous for its traffic jams. Outside of Jakarta, though, life is different. The pace is somewhat slower, but then you learn to adjust to that and to enjoy it. It's difficult to be running around everywhere when it's always hot outside! People are nice, friendly and mostly welcoming. They are curious, but in a good way although some might think that they are being nosy with their questions ("Are you married? Why not? Do you want to have children? What don't you already have children?) Who doesn't get asked these questions where ever they are around the world! But I've got to places where strangers have invited me to tea in their homes, or offered for us to stay there when they realised that we were heading to a town that didn't have a proper hotel. I doubt I would ever do that, so their gestures were greatly appreciated (though we didn't take them up on the offer.)

Since we're just on or below the equator, it's summer all year long. The only seasons that we have are the wet season where it rains every day for a few hours, and the dry season where it rarely rains. This year we've been having continuous rain even through the dry season.

Did you grow up in the US?

Pages