Carolyn with 3 dds in Canada (Dtuch/Eng)

iVillage Member
Carolyn with 3 dds in Canada (Dtuch/Eng)
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 12:00am
We have 3 dd's: almost 5, just turned 3 and 3 months. The oldest is fluent, the second one is passively fluent (little monkey has only lately begun speaking Dutch, but understands everything) and the little one just smiles.

we've just booked our summer trip, should be great for their Dutch (and mine!)

Carolyn

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 3:33pm
Carolyn,

I posted a message to you in one of the previous threads. But I will just repeat it here. I am in the same situation as you. I have a 3 year old boy and a 3 month old girl. I speak Dutch (I am from Belgium) and my husband is American. We live in the US. My children also hear a lot of Dutch from their Bonma/Bonpa and Aunt/Uncle who live in the same city. I am finding that my 3 year old understands everything, but when he speaks, there is a lot of English mixed in. We are taking at trip home in a few months and I am very scared that no-one will understand him because he mixes his Dutch with English. Are you seeing that in your 3 year old?

Thanks

BB
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-15-2003 - 12:08am
BB,

So sorry I didn't see this sooner.....feel free to e-mail me if you like (rcsluis@shaw.ca).

How was your trip? Are all your worries over ? : )

If you saw my update somewhere, my 3 year old came home speaking fluent Dutch : ) We are both very happy about that.

I would not worry a BIT about little ones mixing up languages......they learn VERY quickly when people don't understand them. They seem to sense that Mama en Papa (and other family members) understand both so there isn't a great need to keep them separate LOL (laughing out loud). I find quite often that they just don't KNOW a word in English because we've only ever spoken about it at home in Dutch. Once they know it, they will use it. My 3 year old will now ask me, "Mama, hoe zeg je het in het Engels?" which makes me laugh as I am a native English speaker and we live in English speaking Canada : )

All that to say, "it will all be okay" "Het komt allemaal goed! echt waar"

Groetjes,

Carolyn