Sesami with husband and baby

iVillage Member
Sesami with husband and baby
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 6:30pm
We`re in Japan, but speak English at home. Hello everyone!
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 8:51am
Welcome! Yannie with 4 in Sunny Montréal
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-26-2003 - 9:33am
Do you watch Sesami Street much?

Silly sounding question since your name is Sesami, but we have our little Rei (boy --kinda a girls name in Japanese isn't it) watch in both langages (not the the same time --unless I can't figure out which the kanji for the right button I need to push).

My wife likes to use both languages in the same sentence. She thinks it's 'kawaii', and does it as a habit. I do too especially with 'ne'.

We really need to stop that I think.

Shawn

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-28-2003 - 6:42pm
Actually I tried out lots of cute and clever names but they were all taken by other ivillagers. Then I tried Japanese version of Sesame and I was pleasantly surprised it was still available. Sometimes it helps to know a foreign language!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 9:08am
Yes it does help knowing another language. I just wish I had had enough confidence in my Japanese to report the (nearly) flying taxi with sqeeling wheels to the local police station (koban) just across the street from where I was at the time.

Anyway, did you see MacDonalds (here in Tokyo I believe) started English lessons for little ones to get them hooked early. If that's the only way for your child to learn it, maybe being monolingual and having healthy eating habits is better. Just kidding...