Has anyone read City of Light by

iVillage Member
Has anyone read City of Light by
Mon, 11-07-2005 - 5:01pm

Lauren Belfer?

DianneFallSig.png picture by grammydi
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2005 - 9:41pm

I'm not familiar with this book :-( But if you do finish it let us know if it got better and what you're book club thought of it :-)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-20-2005 - 5:12pm

Hi, Dianne! Lurker and occasional post-er, here. I belong to two book clubs IRL and between them, reading just for myself and my 'life', I don't get here as often as I'd like.

We did read City of Light in one of my groups and, yes, it does get better. Just about everyone said they had to slog through the beginning until it started to grab them. When you start getting the chapters about the murderer and how he operates, it is intriguing. And once they start to really get into the building of the Columbian Exposition, and not just talking about the men involved and their egos, it does pick up. I also learned an awful lot about some men I knew in other historical context and their impact on this Exposition, but I don't want to give anything away! We had much discussion about why the author chose to write both these stories in one novel when they really are only connected by a thin thread that she created. There certainly appears to be enough of each for two seperate and interesting books.

I'm curious to know if you've been able to get past those first 100 pages and how it's going for you. What was the discussion in your book group?

-Amy.

"To the world you may be one person,
but to one person you just might be the world."

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-20-2005 - 7:14pm

Hi Amy,

I must admit skipping a few pages...but I am now at the point where she gets raped by the President Cleveland

DianneFallSig.png picture by grammydi
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-20-2005 - 7:32pm
Oh, I definitely skipped pages in the beginning, too, but after a while I didn't have to any more!
-Amy.

"To the world you may be one person,
but to one person you just might be the world."