The Loss of Leon Meed by Josh Emmons

iVillage Member
The Loss of Leon Meed by Josh Emmons
Mon, 12-12-2005 - 1:40pm

This book was recommended by my sister. I found it hard to read at first b/c the first 50 or so pages are intro's into the different characters. There are about 10 main characters and it's hard to remember who's who at first. Around pg 120 I finally had them figured out. Anyway, the story is about how members of town called Eureka keep seeing Leon Meed appear and disappear at random. They try to rationalize how this is happening. As you read you learn more about the people and what is happening in their lives. Then finally in the second section you meet Leon and you learn all about him and why he is appearing/disappearing. By the end of the book you begin to see how the people are connected and what Leon has meant to them. It's a quirky read but well worth the effort!

Book Description:

In Emmons' imaginative debut novel, 54-year-old Leon Meed inexplicably appears and then disappears in the oddest of places, including the middle of the Pacific Ocean, inside a woman's shower, and at a Longaberger basket party. For one month, 10 residents of the small town of Eureka, California, are privy to his remarkable visitations. Over the course of the next decade, the 10 people--black and white, men and women, gay and straight--are drawn into each other's lives in crucial ways, although each of them puts a different spin on the purpose of Leon's appearances. Emmons threads his narrative with interesting meditations on religion, psychotherapy, death, and fate; he also endows each of his characters with a defining emotion, such as fear, loneliness, and ennui. It is sometimes difficult to keep track of the large cast, and interest may wax and wane according to which character (some are more intriguing than others) is at center stage. Still, Emmons shows considerable flair in his striking ability to give his whimsical premise such philosophical overtones.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-12-2005 - 3:14pm
Sounds interesting!