Three Cups of Tea

iVillage Member
Three Cups of Tea
Mon, 06-11-2007 - 1:37am

I just finished Three Cups of Tea for my book club, and all I can say is ,"wow"! What an inspirational book! This is another nonfiction book (usually I am not much of a nonfiction reader, but I seem to be reading a lot lately) written in part by Greg Mortenson, a mountain climber whose failed attempt at climbing K2 brought him to a very rural village in Pakistan to recover from his journey. After seeing that the children of the village had a school that consisted of a bare piece of land with no actual building or roof to speak of, he vowed to return one day to build a school for these children. The book tells of his journey back to the States where he lives in a storage unit while trying to raise the money necessary to fulfill his promise. The book tells of his trials and triumphs as he makes true on his promise, and continues to build schools all over Pakistan and Afghanistan (two very war torn countries, and dangerous places for Americans to be....Mortenson is in Afghanistan when 9/11 occurs, and he STAYS in Afghanistan because of his strong dedication and passion for his cause, which is that if we can provide non-extremist based schools, not necessarily Christian affiliated schools, children will have the opportunity to get out of the terrorist "schools" that so many attend because there aren't any other schools around for them to go to.) I just can't say enough about this book! In addition to being so inspirational, it was very informative about the Taliban, Northern Alliance, and the "non-extremist" Muslims of many of the small villages of Pakistan and Afghanistan. If you are into buying books, and choose to buy this one, ordering it through threeupsoftea.com will allow a portion of your purchase to go to the CAI (Central Asia Institute), the foundation that Mortenson runs.

Emily in Colorado

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-11-2007 - 6:19am
I remember hearing something about this!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com