Special Topics in Calamity Physics

iVillage Member
Special Topics in Calamity Physics
Wed, 06-13-2007 - 1:42am

All I can say is that I am really glad I stuck with this book. I almost gave up in the middle because it just seemed like it was taking forever to get to where it was going, but it turned into quite a page turner in the end. The book is about a college student recalling her senior year in high school when she, a girl named "Blue" who lives with her dad and moves around almost yearly to different states,becomes friends with an eclectic group of outsiders at school. The group is drawn in by a young, eccentric and mysterious film and drama teacher, who invites the group to dinner at her house weekly. The group forms an unhealthy bond with this teacher, and something suspicious and criminal takes place, causing Blue to investigate. This is when the book is at its best. The author has a style of writing in which she references nearly all of her descriptions, referring to a multitude of classic literature and pop culture. While this was fun to read at the beginning, I felt it got old and tiresome somewhere around the middle. In fact, I found that I started to skip them just so the story didn't break up for me. (Imagine having to read parenthetical references after nearly every sentence!). You must commit to this book if you are going to read it. It wasn't a difficult read, but, like I said, in order for you to feel that you are rewarded or satisfied as a reader, you must not give up and you must stick with it until the very end. Overall, I would recommend it. It wasn't the best I have read, but the style is unique and the ending is captivating.

Emily, in Colorado

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-13-2007 - 8:13am
This was a great book review!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-14-2007 - 12:18pm
This sounds intriguing, but I, too, would be wary of all those asides. I like recognizable references, but not in bucketsful. I'll put it on my list & check it out.

Katz