A Blessed Event by Jean Reynolds Page

iVillage Member
A Blessed Event by Jean Reynolds Page
Sun, 06-24-2007 - 12:40pm

I just read "A Blessed Event" by Jean Reynolds Page. I had a hard time buying the premise of this book, but I am glad I stuck with it because it got better as it went on. The book is about Darla and her husband, a couple unable to have children due to Darla's endometriosis. Enter Joanne, Darla's best friend since childhood. Darla somehow convinces Joanne to carry a baby for Cal and herself, but instead of going to a fertility clinic, Darla talks Joanne and her husband into having sex the old-fashioned way, and Joanne gets pregnant. This is the part I just had a hard time getting past. But, the heart of the story isn't really this at all. Joanne gets into a car accident that puts her in a vegatative state; however the baby is okay. So, what follows is the story of Joanne's parents and Darla and Cal fighting over who will get the baby (they agree to leave Joanne on life support until the baby reaches full term). The book alternates between this present day situation and the custody battle, and the story of how Joanne and Darla's friendship grew. This is a quick read, and it has a satisfying ending, I just had a hard time getting past the "conception" solution that Darla, Cal and Joanne concocted.

Emily, in Colorado

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-25-2007 - 9:47am
This is type of book that would make for great discussion!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-29-2007 - 11:32pm
This book is in my "cart" over at Amazon. I'm reading Accidental Happiness by her right now.......mere pages away from finishing, if I could just sit still long enough!!

Carolyn

PEACE NOW

animated peace symbol

SPEAK OUT

Carolyn