Songs Without Words by Ann Packer

iVillage Member
Songs Without Words by Ann Packer
Mon, 04-21-2008 - 1:54pm

This was the first novel I have read by this author, but I want to read her other novel, The Dive From Clausen's Pier (which I saw reviewed on this board) as well.

This is a story primarily of two girlfriends who are torn apart by their reactions to an attempted suicide by one of the women's daughters. I liked how the story was written, you get to hear the perspective of both friends, the daughter, and the husband/father in the story. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

From Publishers Weekly
Packer follows her well-received first novel, The Dive from Clausen's Pier, with a richly nuanced meditation on the place of friendship in women's lives. Liz and Sarabeth's childhood friendship deepened following Sarabeth's mother's suicide when the girls were 16; now the two women are in their 40s and living in the Bay Area. Responsible mother-of-two Liz has come to see eccentric, bohemian Sarabeth, with her tendency to enter into inappropriate relationships with men, as more like another child than as a sister or mutually supportive friend. When Liz's teenage daughter, Lauren, perpetuates a crisis, Liz doubts her parenting abilities; Sarabeth is plunged into uncomfortable memories; and the hidden fragilities of what seemed a steadfast relationship come to the fore. Packer adroitly navigates Lauren's teen despair, Sarabeth's lonely longings and Liz's feelings of guilt and inadequacy. Although Liz's husband, Brody, and other men in the book are less than compelling, Packer gets deep into the perspectives of Liz, Sarabeth and Lauren, and follows out their conflicts with an unsentimental sympathy. (Sept.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Kindergarten Sig
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 6:50am
This sounds good!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 9:10am
I have this one on my wishlist just haven't got around to reading it yet.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2008 - 9:24am
I finally got around to reading this.