Death of A Thousand Cuts by D'Amato

iVillage Member
Death of A Thousand Cuts by D'Amato
Thu, 10-26-2006 - 12:08pm
Death of A Thousand Cuts by Barbara D'Amato

This is the first I've read by this author. The setting is a reunion, of sorts, for the staff and 'patients' of a now defunct school for autistic children. The doctor who ran the school, who was loved and hated by many, is murdered the first night of the reunion weekend. The author uses the lead detective on the case to explain autism and Asperger's and their many different presentations. Is an autistic person capable of murder? Can they plan something so elaborate? How are the families affected by autism? Would a father or mother have enough resentment to commit murder? What about the doctor's colleagues -- are they jealous of his success? The resolution to the murder is not necessarily a surprise, but using autism was something new to me and I thought it was interesting. Unfortunately, after the murder is solved, the author tacks on a couple (or maybe just one?) more chapters about the personal life on the detective that I found superfluous. An interesting read and okay mystery. Not great, but good for a 'quickie'. My copy is available if anyone would like it.

"To the world you may be one person,
but to one person you just might be the world."

"To the world you may be one person,
but to one person you just might be the world."

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-11-2006 - 9:32am
Sounds like it was an interesting read!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com