The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen

iVillage Member
The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen
Sat, 12-16-2006 - 7:40pm

This is one of the best mysteries I've read this year. Gerritsen's recurring characters, medical examiner Dr. Maura Isles and tough cop Jane Rizzoli are back. They are called to a gruesome murder on Christmas Eve. A woman is found dismembered, with Satanic symbols at the crime scene. The authorities are quick blame a Satanic cult, but a mysterious group with friends in high places takes interest in the case.

Joyce O'Donnell, disliked by both Isles and Rizzoli for defending serial killers as being mentally ill, was called by the murderer from the crime scene. She is a member of the group, and Maura is to learn that the group believes that true evil beings that appear to be human but aren't quite human, exist. They use symbology to track hotspots where they believe the beings are doing their evil work, and they believe evil has come to Boston.

The story also follows Lily, a young American woman hiding in Italy. She is on the run from her cousin, who she also believes is not quite human. Another side plot is the separation of Rizzoli's parents.

This book is not for the faint of heart. The gruesome murders and supernatural element scared the pants off me, but at the same time I could barely put it down. Those of you who are into mythology (particularly fans of BBS show "Hex") will enjoy the references to ancient doctrines and the references to nephilim. People who are die-hard Christian may find some parts offensive, since the book refers to texts that pre-date (and at times contradict) Christianity.

There's also an interesting interview with Gerritsen on amazon.com about the book. She has interviewed people who believe they have encountered people who aren't quite human and is hoping to be contacted by someone from the Order of Jared, which sounds like a real-life version of the Mephisto Club.

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-21-2006 - 7:11am
I saw this reviewed in one of my magazines.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-28-2006 - 3:55am
I haven't read anything by Tess Gerritsen for ages. I must give her a try again- thanks for reminding me!

Tracy