Killing Spree by Kevin O'Brien

iVillage Member
Killing Spree by Kevin O'Brien
Wed, 05-09-2007 - 12:05pm

This was my first book by this author, and I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be reading more by him.

This was a serial killer mystery. The heroine, Gillian, is a medium selling thriller author living in Seattle. Her husband has been missing for two years. He had a serious gambling problem and when organized crime began to look for him, he took off. Gillian's books only sell so-so, and she supplements her income by teaching creative writing at a community college. During every birthday and holiday, mob types hang around Gillian's house thinking her estranged husband will make an appearance. She's so used to it, she doesn't realize that she's being stalked by someone else.

When Gillian learns of murders that copy scenes from her books, she becomes suspicious. The police think it's a conincidence until the bodies begin to pile up. They also think she's wrong when she says the murders are connected to the School Girl Murders, a string of murders that took place on campus two years before. Convinced that the killer has a connection to her evening class from two years before, Gillian begins to track down members of the class.

There is a touching subplot with Gillian's son, who is a high school freshman who is realizing that he's gay. Gillian is a sympathetic character, and her retired detective friend Ruth make an appealing team. Good characters, good mystery. I recommend it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-11-2007 - 7:00pm
I'm sure this was a page-turner!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com