Any Bill Bryson readers?

iVillage Member
Any Bill Bryson readers?
Fri, 12-15-2006 - 10:12am

He writes nonfiction, humorous, mostly travel books. The first Bryson book I read was "A Walk in the Country," about his thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail w/a lazy, overweight friend. As a hiker & a lover of humor, I loved it. Also liked "I'm a Stranger Here Myself," about his moving back to the U.S. after many years of living in the UK. But I tried "In a Sunburned Country," and it had too much description & too much history for me. Same with "The Lost Continent," which I put down for good yesterday. It was about a cross-country road trip he took in the U.S. before he moved back here.

Has anybody else read him? Do you like his books?

Katz

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-20-2006 - 7:57am
DH bought A Short History of Nearly Everything but hasn't read it yet.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-02-2007 - 7:39pm
I LOVE his stuff. I would have to agree that I find the subject matter of some more interesting than others but generally I find that his writing style keeps me interested. I have just finished "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" (his newest) and I really loved it. Would recommend it definitely.
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-07-2007 - 2:13am
I love his books!
They are so clever, witty & true to life.

Tracy

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-08-2007 - 8:11am
I thought of you when I posted this. :) Have you read In a Sunburned Country? It's about his travels in Australia. I liked it, but it was too long, w/too much detail & history. So I gave up about midway through.

Katz

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-12-2007 - 12:47am
I can't remember! Wait a sec ........
I thought I';d read an Aust one but that title rang no bells. I read "Down Under" & loved it. Hmm I suppose it might have a different name in different countries, although I think he has come here a lot. Jeepers I thought I'd read that "recenmtly" but it was in June 2004!! (Where DOES time go??) Goodness I thought I had read a few of his books but it looks like I've only read that one!

Tracy