QOTW: do you always read the dust jacket

iVillage Member
QOTW: do you always read the dust jacket
Fri, 03-09-2007 - 12:22pm
Do you always have to know what a book is about before reading it?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2007 - 12:39pm

I use to read the dust covers all the time when I use to go to the library and pick out the books the old fashion way.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2007 - 12:42pm

Carolyn

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2007 - 12:50pm

Haha you know MY answer is no :) I used to ALWAYS read the dust jacket, and then I would only read the book if I thought I would like it. But then I found myself always only reading books from the same genre, or not reading new authors, etc. The cover would have to appeal to me, and I missed out on a lot of great books that way.

Now, I still read the dust jacket if I know it is a mystery/suspense novel (that is *my* genre so I'm pickier). Otherwise, I like to browse lists of reccomendations on here, on bookcrossing, etc and I make up lists and lists of TBR books. Then I put it into Excell (yes I'm a geek), and sort alphabetically. I cross reference my list with the library's online catalogue, and any books they don't carry go into their own seperate excell sheet. As I read the books they get moved into yet another sheet of their own :)

Every time I hit the library I print out my list and then randomly choose 5 or 6 off of the list to bring home. I try not to read actual descriptions online when I put the books on my list (I will choose a random thread, say 'What was your favorite read this week', etc and then just copy titles). I have found some amazingly good books this way, books I would have NEVER chosen on my own, and books that if I had read the cover, I would have put back, even if it had been highly reccomended.

This week, my books I picked, a few of them have front covers that make me cringe just looking at them, but you never know what the inside has in store for you :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2007 - 2:01pm
I'm a "geek" too with lists.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2007 - 5:24pm

Yes I always read the about the book before I pick it up, but after reading some responses on here it makes me think maybe I should just read blindly. Hmm I will give it a try next time I go into the library.

Amber in California

Amber SAHM

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-10-2007 - 7:54am
I always read the covers or read reviews online.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-10-2007 - 2:07pm
Yes I do.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-10-2007 - 8:27pm

I always have to know what a book is about before I read it. I'm very narrow-minded. LOL. I only like certain kinds of books. My philosophy is "So many books. So little time. No time to read bad books." ;o)

The only time I gave a book a chance & read it even though the storyline didn't appeal to me AT ALL was Poisonwood Bible. I was so excited to see that Kingsolver had a new bok. Love her. But I read the jacket & said Yuk. But my best friend of 40 years, who knows me so well, told me to give it a chance. So I did, & loved it. Ah, the limitations of a narrow mind. ;o)

On the other side--everybody & her sister was saying that DaVinci Code was the best thing since sliced bread. I picked it up & read the jacket on 3 different occasions. Said Yuk each time & put it down. Finally asked my best friend if she thought I would like it. She said No, so I'm at peace about not having read the best book everybody else in the world loved. LOL.

Katz

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2007 - 5:43am
Yes definitely. Like Katz I live by philosophy is "So many books. So little time. No time to read bad books."

Have you ever picked up a book and read it w/o having a clue what it was about? No never!

Tracy