Library Policies?

iVillage Member
Library Policies?
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 7:38am

I just found out about a new policy at my library and I've been a member for 8 years!! I've been checking the Sookie Stackhouse books out over the last couple months and one of them, I could only check out for a week! I had to renew it a couple times before I finished it but when I returned it, I asked why it only checked out and renewed for a week. I thought all books were for 3 weeks and videos were only for a week. They fixed it then and there but said that new books in popular series were only set up on a 1 week check out/renewal basis. I haven't checked to see if that's really in their rules or not but I'm surprised I didn't know about that before! (And, I think the copy I had was a very well worn paperback (split in the middle about to come apart completely!)

So, how well do you know your library policies?

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 9:25am

One policy at our library is SOME hightly requested books are only checked out for 2 weeks with NO renewals....so each library is different! Hugs, Ruth

Follow Me for Survivor Talk!

Click, get healthy & join the fun

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 12:46pm

My library system has a shelf for Fast Reads for the really popular books. They have a FR sticker clearly marked on the cover and the spine. They have a one week check out period with no renewals and a $1.00 a day overdue fine.

Kathie

Kathie

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-27-2010 - 6:32am

As far as I know all books are loaned for 3 wks.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 8:29pm

The usual borrowing period is three weeks, but some material has shorter borrowing periods. Also, some material is not renewable.

Shamrock2

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 2:53pm
My library loans out new books for a week and sometimes you can't renew them. I don't know at what point they stop being "new".