Great Kids' Books by Unexpected Authors

iVillage Member
Great Kids' Books by Unexpected Authors
Wed, 10-29-2008 - 8:38pm

The Moon Shines Down

The Moon Shines Down by Margaret Wise Brown

Forgotten for decades in a dusty, tucked-away trunk, The Moon Shines Down brings to life once more the unmistakable voice of Margaret Wise Brown. This soon-to-be classic allows a whole new generation of children to discover, cherish, and enjoy the artistry of this beloved author.

Never before published, The Moon Shines Down on children all over the world from right next door to across the sea, from where "a Dutch boy dreams" and "cowbells ring" to "across the sea in the Far, Far East", through the familiar prayer:

I see the Moon

And the Moon sees me.

God bless the Moon,

And God bless me.

In this hilarious collection of poems, comedian Jeff Foxworthy creates a neighborhood filled with fun, family, friends, and more. Here you'll meet Cousin Lizzy, Uncle Ed and Aunt Foo Foo, cows with horns that don't go beep, dads in sweaters, also sheep. From the thrill of flying to the imaginary planet Woosocket to bonding with a friend over a shared hatred of spinach, these poems capture the very essence of being a kid.

Filled with sly humor and always affectionate, Dirt on My Shirt is sure to delight kids, big and little, everywhere.

A little girl discovers her true passion in this inspirational picture book based on singer Warwick's own beginnings. Little D is a happy child interested in sports, arts and school, but it is not until her minister Grandpa asks her to sing at church that she discovers what truly moves her: "...nothing...had ever filled me with such soul-deep joy / as when I gave myself to song that Sunday." Little D is supported by a loving network of family and friends who encourage her in all her activities, allowing her to dream big. Soud, a Brazilian illustrator, provides commercial-looking, rather stiff images that nevertheless project an appropriately enthusiastic energy for its upbeat subject, and Bolden and Warwick combine forces to create a rhythmic, often rhymed text. Little D's appreciation for the world comes through loud and clear. Includes a CD of Warwick reading the text and singing "Jesus Loves Me," Little D's first publicly performed number. (Picture book. 4-8)

Since it first appeared on the 1974 album Planet Waves, "Forever Young" has been one of Bob Dylan's most beloved songs. Now award-winning artist Paul Rogers gives us a new interpretation of the lyrics. With images inspired by classic Dylan songs and pieces of his life, this is a bold and touching tribute to an anthem whose message will always stay forever young. Baby boomers will have a blast decoding it all. All ages.

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket