Books for Christmas gifts?

iVillage Member
Books for Christmas gifts?
Sat, 11-08-2008 - 8:16pm

Anyone else give books for Christmas gifts?

I love giving books for Christmas. I've already bought all my little nephews & niece (just 1) a book.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-08-2008 - 8:45pm
Twilight of course! ::snicker snicker::
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-08-2008 - 8:50pm

Who are you giving it to?

At this point, everybody I know will have already read them by Christmas...lol.

I did buy Aly & one of my niece's the Twilight calendar for Christmas, though. Aly's is going in my kitchen (this year has been High School Musical with cute Zac Efron appearing every now & then...lol).

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-08-2008 - 9:47pm
I have some non-believers...sigh...that I just can't convince to read it so if they havent by Christmas I plan on giving them the book. This includes my mom, two girl friends and two young cousins 16 and 17.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-09-2008 - 12:09am

I always give my nephews and nieces a book as part of their Christmas gift. I've started my Christmas shopping. So far I've gotten the Canadian edition of The Dangerous Book For Boys by Conn Iggulden and Good To Go by Kim Zarzour & Sharon McKay. The other books I haven't purchased yet but

Kathie

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-09-2008 - 12:07pm

You know what...I have a student who has read all of the Twilight books and the books she has been reading lately seem to be along that line. If you'd like, I can ask her to write down some suggestions???

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-09-2008 - 12:10pm

Thanks. That would help. The books don't necessarily have to be on the vampire genre. I'm just not sure what the kids that age are reading.

Kathie

Kathie

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-09-2008 - 12:12pm

I understand...and these aren't. There are A LOT Of vampire books out there right now, though.

I'll talk with her tomorrow.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-11-2008 - 5:06pm

One of the ones my friend recommended after I read Twilight is Graceling by Kristin Cashore. It is a young readers.

Synopsis
Romantic medieval fantasy from a debut author
The New York Times - Katie Roiphe
In the course of her dark and eventful tale, Cashore plays with the idea of awkwardness, how at a certain age gifts and talents are burdens, how they make it impossible to feel comfortable in the world. And in this she writes a fairly realistic portrait of teenage life into the baroque courts of her outlandish kingdoms…In many respects Graceling is a study of mysterious angers: it offers a perfect parable of adolescence, as its characters struggle with turbulent emotions they must learn to control. The consequences are more tangible than they usually are in more mundane settings—if Katsa loses control, she breaks someone's jaw by accident—but the principle is the same. The teenage characters in this novel, like some we may know in life, grow into their graces. They realize that their monstrous individuality is not so monstrous after all.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-11-2008 - 6:50pm
I usually give my daughter a gift card for Borders and that way she can pick out her own books. I do love receiving books for Christmas, I usually give my DH some suggestions.

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-16-2008 - 3:14pm

Hey Kathy,

My student finally (sort of) came through for me. But I know she's read 2 books recently that are not on this list.

But this is what she gave me:

The Host-Stephenie Meyer (it IS an adult novel, not YA).

High School Bites by Liza Conrad

Marked
Betrayed
Chosen
Untamed--these are by PC Cast & her daughter Kristin Cast

The Summoning (possibly Kelley Armstrong???)

Uninvited (but I don't know by whom)

HTH~!

Pages