Dear mother in law's visit

iVillage Member
Dear mother in law's visit
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 10:55am
Hi everyone. I just joined. I’m a divorced mom of 3 boys; Jason 4 & 2/1, Matthew 7 and Michael 9.

For the first time since my divorce 18 months ago, dear mother in law came to visit us and stayed for a week. She left yesterday thanks heavens. She finds fault in everything I do. Yes the divorce is my fault as well.

She also recons its mothers like me who causes our kids to be molested. Just because I let the boys wear nightshirts without underwear. The first evening she must have moaned at the at least 20 times to cover themselves while playing around after their bath. The following evening I told them to rather wear pj’s till she’s gone.

Am I wrong for not letting them wear underwear to bed? My mom taught us its unhealthy to wear underwear to bed. We live in Durban South Africa, which is very hot and humid, and most of my friends who have boys also don’t believe that boys should wear underwear to bed. I’m sure its not just moms in our area that believes it?

Mandy

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 2:53pm
Welcome Mandy! It sounds like your mil is the one with the hang ups. I don't think I could have held my tounge if someone told me that mothers like me would cause my boys to get molested. UGH!

As for the undies.. I was brought up totally different. My grandparents were migrant workers. Which means they traveled place to place where there was work on different fields. So they would help w/ the harvesting, picking or whatever. They wore all their clothes to bed so they could get right on w/ their day in the morrning. W/ that in my background my boys wear undies to bed at night but my in laws do not. They are free *LOL*

I'm looking forward to hear what the other moms here do and think.

Tina