replacing bottle nipples during thrush?

iVillage Member
replacing bottle nipples during thrush?
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 12:11am
I'm 4 days into diflucan (and many more days into home treatment) and dd is 2 days into nystatin. At what point do I have to replace bottle nipples and is this really necessary? I've been boiling them twice a day for 20+ minutes at a time with vinegar (how much vinegar is necessary?).

The reason I ask is because I've been using the breastbottle. I purchased 3 of them. I called the company and they will not sell just parts. So I would have to buy all new bottles. At about $12 each I really don't want to do that again. I have avent and playtex new nursers. DD tried those again today and did much better though she still had air leaks on the side of her mouth with the avent and I still think that the playtex flows too fast.

So, what if I swab the breastbottle nipples really good with GV after a LONG boiling with vinegar and the lid on the pot (increases water temp)? I'll toss them if I have to. I'm hoping dd gets back to the breast pretty soon since she seems to be doing better with swallowing.

in summary - at what point do I replace the nipples (5 days, 7 days, when no visual signs of thrush...) and is it absolutely necessary?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:13am
My LC told me to replace all bottle nipples and pacifiers after 7 days of treatment for thrush. I asked her if I really had to do that because it was going to be expensive and she said it was very necessary if we wanted to get rid of thrush. So I did it, and cringed at the site of what it cost to replace them. I just hope we don't have to do this ever again. BTW, she also suggested that we throw away our toothbrushes, any makeup I was using and such things like scrubbies (the little mesh thingies I used in the shower to wash with instead of a washrag). I replaced our toothbrushes and scrubbies, but not makeup. I had to draw the line there. To answer you ? about is it necessary...I am not really for sure. I was just so desperate to get rid of it because of issues w/DH asking me to quit if it didn't work that I was willing to try anything. HTH!

Karen - mommy to Kylie (6.5 months old)

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:22am
Thanks, Karen. After 7 days of treatment. What was your treatment? My dd's dr only gave 7 days worth of nystatin. We are now, um, 2.5 days into it and it is not visible at all on her tongue now! yea! But should I replace the nipples just as I finish the nystatin or perhaps just before?

I'll still have 6 days on diflucan after she finishes the nystatin.

I've already replaced my toothbrushes and I'm brushing with baking soda to make sure that nothing can grow on it!! I don't wear makeup LOL!! And I also replaced my soap but don't have scrubbies.

I guess I'm off to by bottle nipples. Too bad about the breastbottles. Damn, $36 (more actually with postage) down the drain!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:31am
Well, we did the gentian violet for twice a day for 3 days (I think) and my DD was on the liquid nystatin for several weeks. I was only give 2 days worth of Diflucan. That was all my Doc would give. I also used a cream on my nipples and on DD's diaper rash. She just had a rash, nothing in her mouth. We also used a water/vinegar solution on paper towels to wipe DD's bottom at diaper changes. I don't know the mixture becuz DH did all that for me. I also used the same water/vinegar solution to wipe my nipples after BF and then used the cream. We used vinegar when washing laundry and a vinegar/water solution to spray all her toys down with every day. Also boiled everything that I could that came into contact with me or DD. All that seemed to work, I hope. Just yesterday, I started getting a pain in my breast when I BF'd Kylie, so I hope it isn't the yeasty beast again. If it is I think this time I am just going to try to control it the best I can or maybe use something else instead of the gentian violet. DH was very mad that I used that.

I think that's all we did. That's all? It seemed like a ritual that we were performing every day. LOL! HTH and good luck!

Karen - mommy to Kylie (6.5 months old)

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:32am
It's really a bit subjective. Like any infection whether you get thrush is related to how good your immune system is working, how long of an exposure you had to the organism, how strong that organism is and the point of contact. Replacing the bottles/nipples is sort of like replacing your toothbrush after a sore throat or cold. It's not "mandatory" but probably a good idea. For someone who is especially vulnerable, like someone who has had multiple yeast infections and battled it for a long time I'd lean toward telling them to replace the items. For someone who has had only one infection or a more mild infection it might be a reasonable risk to continue with the same items after careful sterilization.

I'm not sure if the GV works on bottle nipples and/or if it might stain them. I think that the boiling should be enough.

The usual solution of vinegar is about 1 tablespoon per cup of water.

Grapefruit seed extract is also ok to use on surfaces.

Hope this helps you to make a decision that works for you.

Warmly

Kathy