Posted this yesterday but would like...m

iVillage Member
Posted this yesterday but would like...m
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 2:25am
to get some answers. I would love to breastfeed my almost 8 month old son well past the first year. As of today he eats 2 solid meals a day (breakfast, dinner) and seems disinterested in BFing. What can I do to keep him interested. He also like Apple Juice in sippy cup and cheerios. Do I need to eliminate some of these things or try to BF more often? I love the simple act of BFing and am not ready to quit yet. It is one of the simple pleasures of being a new mother.

Marcie and Parker 8/2

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:54am
He shouldn't be 'disinterested in nursing' at this age. Are you using solids as dessert? At this age and up until a year that is what I did and it worked wonders (I nursed ds till 30 months). Bf first and then give solids. That way you aren't replacing breastmilk with low calorie and often low nutrient foods in the first important year.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:41am
You might want to skip the juice. Babies can fill up on juice, which has limited nutrition compared to breastmilk. Most babies who are breastfed don't need much other than breastmilk to drink in the first year. Some moms offer a little water with solids to keep the baby from getting constipated if they seem to have trouble with constipation once they're eating solids. I just let my DD (10 3/4 months) nurse when she's "thirsty" after solids. We do give her water now & then, but not on a daily basis. She eats solids only about once a day, but so far she hasn't needed anything else to drink. I also agree with what one of the other posters said about nursing first, then offering solids. That way your baby will fill up on breastmilk, then solids are just for tasting/dessert. You can nurse, and then offer solids about 20 minutes later.

HTH!

Amy

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 11:10am
I agree with the other posters and think that maybe some extra nursing sessions and/or a bit less juice or solids might be the answer. Always offer the breast prior to the solids. Also, if your baby sucks his thumb or takes a paci you might try to bf at those times instead of allowing him to suck on other items.

HTH

Kathy