Clogged duct while weaning?

iVillage Member
Clogged duct while weaning?
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 7:20am
I have been slowly weaning my DD. I ended the last feeding (the "first thing in the a.m. feeding") over 4 days ago and I'm still sore. I feel better today, but I noticed that my left breast is bigger and more sore than my right. Both are still a little lumpy (like I can feel the milk in there). Could I have a clogged duct?? What do you do for a clogged duct while weaning? I know when you're BF'ing, you just keep feeding to clear it, but what can I do when I'm trying to *not* encourage milk production???

HELP!

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 9:39am
It sounds like you've hit a plateau, and your body is warning you to slow down the weaning process. Take a day or two to nurse that plugged duct away before cutting out any more nursing sessions, and see if that gets better.

Don't worry at this point about increasing supply, a gradual weaning approach is far better for yours and baby's health and you will, eventually, dry up your supply even if you go slowly.

Also, massaging the area in a hot shower can help, particularly if you can use the shower itself to massage that area and loosen the plug.

Good luck!