Repost:6mth old not wetting very much...

iVillage Member
Repost:6mth old not wetting very much...
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:31am
discussion title: 6mth old not wetting very much....con...

emoticon:

message #: 62451.1

date: 12:41 am

replies: 1

6mth old not wetting very much....concern? Please repost.

I don't know if it's cause he's teething, cause he's stressed out we're moving, or what, but today, and I believe some of yesterday, he wet only 4 diapers, and not soaking wet either. More along the lines of wet once or twice in them before I changed him, not his typical way of doing things.

He is eating, or seems to be, eating enough during the day and at night.

He is teething, don't see bumps yet but we all know those could take months to come in!

Also his poop has taken on a strange odor. Almost but not quite like vinegar, a very acidic smell to be more precise. Is this a cause for concern?

He'll have to have his 6 month check up about 2 weeks late this go round as we'll be moving about an hour away and I want to wait til then to get him set up with a pediatrician. We are buying a house, have been living in corporate housing for the past month.

If these are causes for concern I'll make him an appointment right away, but wanted to check here first.

We are still exclusively breastfeeding, although we did try a tiny amount of rice cereal last week, did ok with it. And we tried bananas about 3 days ago. No reactions seemed to happen with either one, but it's either the bananas or him reacting to my Papa Johns peppercenis that is causing the vinergary poopy smell. Although the peppers should be out of my system as of yesterday, not sure how long it would take for them to get out of his.

Any thoughts on any of this???

Sheri with 3 days shy of a 6 month old Joshua

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:34am
Sheri, I would call your pediatrician. Usually a vinegar smell indicates infection, at least the is true of yeast infections. I don't know for sure with poop smelling that way. But better safe than sorry, I would call. Also, if the inside of his mouth is moist then he's dehydrating.

Gwen

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 11:02am
I'd probably try to bf more, possibly in a quiet environment for a day or so to see if that helps increase the wet diapers. It's possible he's cut back a bit on his milk intake b/c of the busy moving schedule and all the excitement. Another possibility is if it has been warm where you are he may be sweating out some of the fluid. You might also try to see if he'd take some water from a sippy cup as extra insurance.

I'm not sure about the vinegar smelling poops. The change in poop odor is more likely the food he ate then something you ate. Anyother changes r/t to the poops?

As long as he has been wetting, his mouth seems moist, he doesn't seem ill, and the change has only been a day or so, it's probably reasonable to try to increase his fluid intake for a day or so and if no improvement occurs call the doctor. Also, call the doctor if he seems ill, runs a fever, or if you can't help him to make more wets in about a day.

HTH

Kathy

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 1:47pm
Thanks to both of you for responding. Today when I went to change his morning diaper it was almost back to normal, since then he appears to be back on schedule. So no telling what was up with his dryer day.

As far as the poops, I think I'm going to cut down on my cheese intake. I've noticed I can drink one glass of milk and I"m fine, 2 has me running to the bathroom later. Stands to reason 2 pieces of cheese at a time may do the same thing. Don't know if it would cross over to him or not, but figure it's worth a shot. Seems like the only possible thing I can think of.

Again, thanks

Sheri