HELP! I think I may be getting mastitis!

iVillage Member
HELP! I think I may be getting mastitis!
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:36am
First of all, let me say I'm kinda confused by these new boards so if you want to email me direct that would be great - shari_moniz@yahoo.com. Anyway, Eden is almost 3 months old and I woke up this morning to a painful right breast. She nursed 2 times last nite so I know it's not engorgement (she had just nursed on that side probably 3 hours ago). I looked in the mirror as I was getting into the shower and there's definitely a red area at the top of my breast, about the size of the palm of my hand - the same spot feels hard. I feel fine otherwise, none of the flu-like symptoms they tell you to watch out for. What do I need to do, aside from having her nurse on that side as much as possible? Do I need to call my OBGYN to be put on an antibiotic? I nursed my first daughter for 19 months and I never had this happen so I feel like a first timer here LOL HELP! THANKS!

Shari

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:19am
Well, I am not sure how much help I can be, but I can tell you what I did to tell if it was mastitis or a plugged duct. I would take a long warm bath and see if that would help and I would also nurse as often as possible on that side. This would usually work and then I knew more than likely I had a plugged duct. Sometimes it would take a day, though. If you have already tried things like this then IMO I would see your DR. HTH!

Karen - mommy to Kylie (6.5 months)

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:20am

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:38am
(the icon is for the new format :-)

ok, so it sounds like you have a plugged duct that could turn into mastitis. that's how mine always worked. it's really important to get rid of the plug. regular nursing never helped me in this area. i used really hot showers - direct the water on the area and try to massage the plug out. soap it up and rub the hard spot towards the nipple to relieve the plug. i also applied heat and then pumped. these two things seemed to do it.

if you get mastitis, you can call the doc and get an antibiotic. i never did this. mine always played itself out (the symptoms can be really bad, you'll know if you get it) within a couple of days. oh, and i did take tylenol to keep the fever down.

good luck!

kathryn

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 11:42am
It could be a plugged duct or area of congestion (milk back up). It's reasonable to work on it as long as you don't have a fever for a day or so.

Try to rest as much as possible and bf bf bf bf from that breast. Try to aim the baby's nose or chin toward the red area when you bf.

Do some massage from the chest wall out toward the nipple prior to and during the breastfeeding.

You can also try dunking the breast in a bowl of very hot water (not so hot it burns you) and do some massage just prior to bf and/or pumping that breast. We call this the dunk and dangle technique.

If it gets worse, or doesn't resolve in a few days or if you run a fever of 100.5 or greaster call the doctor asap.

HTH

Kathy