I think she is done nursing :(

iVillage Member
I think she is done nursing :(
Sat, 02-05-2005 - 10:52pm

I poasted in chat the other day about seeing colostrum in my right nipple, but still having milk in the left. Well, the left now has the colostrum and she is refusing it. She normaly nurses before nap and bed. Nap time yesterday was the last time she nursed. I really don't want her to stop, but I can't force her ether. Any ideas to keep her going? Or should I just call it quits? She also has a cold and a stuffy nose. I just got her out of the bath, so I know she can breath ok. I was thinking that her stuff nose was the problem. Did I say, that I don't want her to stop, I am almost in tears cause I don't want this to hapen.

Sarah, Alexis 7-4-3 and Sam coming early June

Sarah, mom to Alexis, Samantha and Kayleigh

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-06-2005 - 2:16am

She may be objecting to the taste but the stuffy nose can alter tastes too so maybe when that's gone she'll find that she likes the colostrum.

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-06-2005 - 4:47pm

I have never had to pump, so i don't have any frozen milk. I might try that later. We are at 48 hours with out nursing now. I even offered her an extra nursing session last night and she refused them all. I think I will keep offering till she is well, but not sure where to go from there. I was hoping to make it to 2 years and we are just 5 months shy of that.

Sarah, mom to Alexis 7-4-3 and Sam coming early June

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-06-2005 - 7:26pm

Hang in there sweetie. You can look over the info on Kelly's "Help! Baby refuses to nurse!" page and see if anything there helps.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

I'm sending positive nursing vibes your direction!!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-06-2005 - 8:15pm
Thanks Carol. I think this is just a strike, cause she is having a hard time breathing. The last time se tried to nurse, she was not able to breath well and was biting me to keep ahold of the nipple. I yelled at her about it. I think I scared her. She some time will try to latch on, but will only suck 1 time and pull off and fuss. I am taking her to the Dr tomorrow, cause she is still congested and has a nasty cough. I think she has an infection set in some where. She is not eating regular food much eather. The last time she did this was when she had strep throat. I am worred about her, she is struggling. She did not have a wet diaper from 9am till 2 pm. I am just trying to get her to eat and drink. I don't think she is dehydrated, but might be close. She has had several wet diapers this afternoon/evening. I think she is getting better, she just had a low grade fever this morning, but I am worred. I should have gone to the Dr on friday, but I though she was ok.

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-06-2005 - 11:49pm

It really could just be the bug and she'll nurse when she feels better. My almost 22 mo old DD was sick a couple of weeks ago and actually didn't nurse for 3 days. She'd try, but everytime she went to latch on she'd pull off and say no. I wondered too if maybe she was going to be done. The "good" thing about being 7+ months pregnant is that I didn't have to worry about losing my milk supply while she was on strike since it's already gone anyway LOL! I've had nothing but clear sticky colostrum for a few weeks.

She's better now and has been back to nursing normally again though. She also isn't wild about the colostrum either. Often after she nurses, she kind of makes a funny face while smacking her lips and asks for a sippy of water, but it hasn't really deterred her from nursing when that's really what she needs.

Hope Alexis is feeling better and back to nursing soon:-)nat edd 4/14 w/#4

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-07-2005 - 4:25am

Thanks for your encouragement. I am hoping this bug is to blame. It is 3 am and we are up cause she was throwing up. :( What a way to wake up. I had to change both sets of sheets, but luckily, the pillows are ok. She is going to the Dr as soon as we can get her in the morning. And you’re right about the supply. I was thinking about pumping, and then I remember that colostrum is not easy to pump and I don't have a supply any more.

Sarah, mom to Alexis and Sam coming early June

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-07-2005 - 9:55am

Well hopefully it is a strike.

~*Karen*~

happily married to Ryan and momma to Kylie (6) & Megan (4)