mil gave 10mth ds milk!!!!!!!!!!!!

iVillage Member
mil gave 10mth ds milk!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mon, 02-07-2005 - 10:21am

yepp.... last nite we were having cake and coffee and milk and she gave D some milk while i was in his room cleaning up..... she said he drank it up and when she took it away he cried............

I WAS mad BECAUSE THATS AN IMPORTANT MILESTONE FOR ME TO GIVE HIM HIS FiRST CUP OF MILK NOT MIL!!!! AND HES STILL TOO YOUNG.. I WANTED TO DO IT ON HIS FIRST B DAY!!!

hes such a good eater hes 26 lbs and loves to nurse and eat solids and lil finger foods... maybe im thinking an ounce of milk in the am isnt so bad and when he turns a year he can have it in place of nursing during the day. hes down to nursing 2-3 a day and at nite probably id say 2 times maybe 3....

hes never had any kind of reactions to anyhing ive given in fact he will eat anything WELL NO PEAS LOL....

I DUNNO i feel so violated i wasnt ready for him to have milk yet and he did like it.. and i guess a lil wont hurt or will it????? what do i know!!!
all i know is he still likes to nurse and as long as he still shows interest in nursing a few times a day than im happy!!!!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-07-2005 - 12:34pm

There are varying opinions on cows milk before a year. Some believe that as long as there is no history of allergies, a few sips after about 9 mo isn't a bad thing - as long as it doesn't replace breastmilk.

Others (like us) do have family history of allergies and avoid cows milk till well after a year.

If your baby has already had yogurt, and such, and has had no history of food issues, and there is not family history of allergies, the little milk he got probably isn't going to have negative reaction.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-07-2005 - 2:18pm

I know it's hard - it's one of those things that I'm still having a hard time getting used to. Like at Thanksgiving (our babies are the same age) when one of Jamie's uncles gave him a huge spoonful of whipped cream when I wasn't looking! Or at Christmas when my MIL swore there was nothing in the stew she made that Jamie couldn't have, and I later found out there were tomatos and I didn't want him to have that yet. Grr.....

Try not to worry too much about it. FWIW, I give Jamie whole milk in his cereal some mornings. If you don't want him to have milk, don't give him any anymore, but a little bit here and there isn't going to replace nursing - unless you let it! ;)

jane.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-07-2005 - 6:20pm
We started giving DD small amounts whole cow's milk at 10 months.
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-07-2005 - 9:43pm
Wow! Your MIL has some "boundary issues." I can't believe that she didn't ask you first if that was OK. Or is she an evil MIL and waited until you left the room? Ugh....either way it's not right. I feel for you. I would put your foot down now about it or she will continue to do what she thinks is okay, KWIM?

Kathy