Asking for support

iVillage Member
Asking for support
Sat, 07-24-2004 - 1:56pm
As I've told Lynda, I'm in the process of losing 250 lbs. the old-fashioned way (Weight Watchers).

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-24-2004 - 2:18pm
I'm proud of your decision to lose the weight. I'm guessing that reaching this goal will be much like (from what I hear, not there yet) writing a novel. The beginning is strong and the end is a big YEE-HA! But the middle is the struggle. That's when you may need the most encouragement. Let us know how great it feels with every milestone you reach -- that includes the changes in reaching for something other than, well for me it would be a big hunk of white chocolate. lol Even in the darkest hours, if you stay true to your gaol, you will make progress and the sun will brighten your day once again. Don't let discouragement steal your dream, okay?

I'm rooting for you,

Kellie <><
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-24-2004 - 2:27pm
Good for you! And keep up the positive attitude! I need to lose weight myself-probably a good 40 lbs. I fuss at myself all the time, will exercise for awhile, then stop. But the woman I work with was extremely overweight. She couldn't weigh on regular scales, barely could get around, etc. She just stopped eating practially, which I don't recomend. She's finally eating now but trying to eat just healthy stuff. She's going to the gym and exercising. She's got her a fellow-since December, which was a BIG motivation to lose the weight and he is very supportive. She's lost 80+ since December-looks great and feels so much better. And she is so much happier. She's "alive" again. (I'd tell you how she says she's work off most of her weight, but there may be younger ones reading-you get the picture! She swears it's the best exercise!!! LOL Best of luck and we'll all try to help keep you motivated.
Darlene
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-24-2004 - 4:04pm

You can do this, Mary!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2004 - 11:35am
Mary,

We will all be here supporting you the whole way. I've heard nothing but good things about Weight Watchers. My sister has been successful with them. They allow for a real food/exercise life, which is what you need to make the change permanent.

I know you'll do it!

Yvonne

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2004 - 11:44am
I am very excited for you. Each little step along the way will eventually add up, so don't get discouraged when things are going slow. I have about 100 lb to loose and your post was an inspiration to me so I am going to look more closely at my situation.

Edited 7/26/2004 11:59 am ET ET by brigitroseo3

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2004 - 12:10pm
Congratulations - 1) on setting your mind to do this and 2) (if you already have it)getting your story accepted by People magazine!

If you want to talk to some other people for your article, I know there is a board somewhere in I-Village, I think on a channel called "Diet and Exercise," that is called "100 lbs. or More to Go." It's for people who have that much weight to lose. When I was a CL, I learned this is a really popular board.

You'd think you and them would motivate me to lose the 30 to 40 lbs. I'd be better off without, wouldn't you? I don't know why you haven't!

Ellen

This is cool. I will check this out further when I get a job or get my free-lance business really going. Too bad I lost my job right when this started.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2004 - 12:53pm

Hello!

I am new to the board but I thought I'd say Hi anyway :-)

I think it's you have done the very first and most important step - declared your goal! I am sure you can do it, with time and knowing that not everyday will be smooth you can reach your goals!

My MIL has done it, I am currently doing it (a little) and I know it's possible to lose weight with weight watchers.

Good luck, love Stef

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2004 - 12:59pm
Hi, and congratulations on taking that first step. We have W/W in South Africa as well as Weigh Less. Seventeen years ago I lost 66lb with Weigh Less and am still at goal weight today. From February 2000 until February this year, I ran three groups in my town, as Group Leader. I have many motivational talks that I gave to my members. I typed them all out and saved them on my PC even though I did my talks (after all the weighing in) off pat. If you wish, I can e-mail a few really inspirational ones to you privately. This has been one reason for me to become more involved in my writing. I spent hours at the computer writing talks about everything in life.

I am actually in West Africa now because a friend lives and works here. She is married to the director general a gold mining company. After she had asked to be signed up as a long-distance member in my group in South Africa, it took only four days before he husband offered to fly me up here on a visit to motivate and support his wife one on one. I had nothing to do with the mining company although my husband runs the earthmoving company which is contracted to the gold mine.

I arrived here just as a position became vacant in one of the offices. It started out as a temporary position and I seem to be firmly ensconsed in the company now. The friend has lost seven of the twenty pounds she needs to. We intend to get her to goal weight by mid-September.

Anything you wish to ask or if you merely need support, call me!

Hugs

JO

Edited 7/28/2004 3:52 am ET ET by jo_gran

Edited 7/29/2004 12:50 pm ET ET by jo_gran

Jo- the other half of a cat-mad duo