Terrible rash, something I ate?

iVillage Member
Terrible rash, something I ate?
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 2:05pm
My poor 3 week old woke up with a terible rash all over his face. He has red splotches all over plus red bumps. He also has a terrible diaper rash that no amount of Desitin will clear up. In fact, it seems to be making it worse! Could he be allergic to something I ate? Any advice would be great!

Thanks.

Kerry~

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 2:15pm
Are you sure it's a rash on his face? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but my DS started getting baby acne at 3 weeks and it looked just like a splotchy bumpy rash all over his face, head and neck. I asked the doctor about it twice and she assured me it was just acne and would go away on it's own.

As far as the diaper rash, that could very well be something you ate. Or it could be a sensitivity to diapers or wipes. Try wiping with a damp washcloth instead of wipes for a few days and see if that helps. My DS had a diaper rash that wasn't helped by any of the diaper rash creams & ointments I had either. I ended up just putting plain vaseline on it in hopes it would at least be soothing... sure enough it cleared up by the end of the day.

My DD (who is now 2.5 yo) had a chronic yeasty diaper rash that was only helped by an antifungal cream prescription. If your DS's rash starts spreading down his thighs or up his tummy (i.e. outside of the normal "poopy" area), that is likely a yeast and needs to be treated differently than normal diaper rash.

This probably isn't terribly helpful! Newborns are such a mystery sometimes. LOL

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 3:10pm
Kerry, The rash sounds like the normal baby breakout. I have the book "What to expect the first year", oh my god, it is on the money for everything I have seen and run into with my baby.

The diaper rash could be a sensitivity to the wipes. Our little one had a diaper rash 3 days after we brought him home, and if we had skipped the free nurse visit we would not have known. She told us we can keep our wipes, just rinse each one good with water before you use them. By the time Matt hit 2 months, his skin toughened up and we have been using the wipes straight. But every now and then if we see a little pink down there, we use rinsed wipes a few times.

Gwen and Matt 1/13/03

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 8:08pm
without seeing it - it is hard to say whether it is newborn rash or something you ate. But I would say that if it came on suddenly that it could be something you ate. Newborn rash tends to not be so sudden. I blamed dd's face rash on newborn stuff and butt rash on wipes/diapers and it turned out she was allergic to lots that I was eating (dairy, eggs, soy etc). Her face is clear and bobo is white. I ate a piece of birthday cake with buttercream frosting last weekend and the next day she had one pimple on her face! and was fussy too.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting