DS is a BF pig!

iVillage Member
DS is a BF pig!
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 3:16pm
DS is 9 dys old and I need encouragement that I'm doing this right...

I nursed DS#1 for 14.5 mos so you'd think I'd know what I'm doing, but I'm having trouble remembering back to when he was a newborn (he's 2 now). It seems like DS#2 wants to nurse ALL the time!!

This is our routine at the moment:

Get up around 7-8 am.

Alternate nursing & dozing all morning - eat for 10-20 min on one side, sleep for half an hour, wake up & repeat.

Nap for 2-4 hrs in the afternoon.

Alternate nursing & dozing all evening till mommy gives up & we go to bed (we cosleep)

Nurse about every 2-3 hrs through the night.

Night time is fine & the big nap in the afternoon is nice, but I feel like I'm chained to the sofa the rest of the time and there just isn't that much good on TV. Plus my butt hurts from sitting for so long. And I usually don't get a shower until the afternoon.

I know he's a newborn and that eventually we will get on a more regular schedule. I keep reminding myself that at this age DS#1 was only just coming off of light therapy for jaundice so I can't even begin to try to compare the 2 experiences. I would just like some encouragement that I'm really handling this correctly. I seem to remember that at this age it's best to just BF on demand and not worry about it, but I can't help but wonder if I'm misinterpreting his signals.

On the plus side, he has already regained his birth weight, so I know he's not starving. I just can't imagine that he can really be this hungry. Oh, I should probably mention that he weighed 9 lbs. 9.5 oz. at birth, and yesterday he weighed in at 9 lbs. 10 oz. So he is a big boy.

Rachel, Will (2) & Sam (1 wk)

iVillage Member
In reply to: rachnkids
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 3:29pm
Hi Rachel :) sounds like overall you're doing great!

Some idea tho, that may help - if you're not keeping him to one side after that 10 or so min session, or if you're switching sides in under two hrs, try keeping him to one side for a two hr block of time. So if you start out at 8 am on right breast, keep to right side till 10 no matter how many times he may want to nurse, then switch to left side at 10,and keep to that side no matter how many times he wants to nurse till 12, then switch.

more info here that may also help:

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/normal.htm#EarlyWeeks

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 4:30pm
Hi Rach! Hi Sam! Just want to say congrats! Hope you're doing well. Hope you had a good (albeit short) experience at the Birth Center.

Lisa (BTW, sounds like your little one is a nursing champ. The "two hour on the same side" will give him more of the fatty hindmilk and MAY keep him satisfied longer. But, you know those first few weeks; they just like to suck all the time. Kira slowed down a bit after three weeks!)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 5:38pm
I haven't read the other replies yet, but that sounds EXACTLY like how my DS and I spent his first three months! :) Sounds like you're doing great.

xoxo

jools & Justin 6/9/02

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 7:17pm
I'm a first time mother with a 14-wk old son.

I couldn't believe it either - he seemed to eat so much!

Our schedule was pretty much identical to yours, in fact, it continues up to now! we also co-sleep.

I've been watching TV shows I've never been interested in before. Lots of people on this board talk about a sling - you can hold the baby close to you while your hands are free - why don't you check it out?

hope you have some support at home, from family and friends.

good luck to you!
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 6:28am
Rachel, so gald to hear things are going well with Sam. Looks like you didn't need the March 27th chant after all (on the unmed birth board) since he came on the 26th. Congrtas.

I agree with letting Sam stay longer on the one breast, this will fill him up and help him go a little longer. Also he could be hitting the 11 day growth spurt early. He may or may not start to sleep a little longer after the growth spurt to make up for all the time he was nursing!

Congratulations again,

Lori