Am I doing the right thing?

iVillage Member
Am I doing the right thing?
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 4:21pm
Glad we got a new folder for non-Kathy questions! Cool beans.

The scenario: Elizabeth (3months yesterday) has started sucking her fist. Not her thumb, not her fingers...she tries to get her whole darn fist in her mouth...cracks me up. Anyway, I'll nurse her and after a bit she'll start pulling away, look at me, latch, pull away. She does that a few times and I know it's time to burp or the milk isn't flowing as fast on that side and she's ready to move on. When she gets to the point that she's pulling off and then rather than latching back on she just "licks" me (mouthing at my nipple but not really sucking) I assume she's finished eating. I go to burp her again, and she acts like she can't get her fist in her mouth fast enough! I'll usually offer her the breast again, but she does the mouthing thing rather than actually latching on and nursing. So...I fasten up the bra.

The question: Am I doing the right thing when I assume she's finished eating (especially after offering her my breast again)? You know me...paranoid FTM! Her diaper count (wet and dirty) is great and she's gaining weight well (up to 12.5 lbs now)...so I'm assuming she's getting enough to eat and if she were still hungry, she'd latch on and nurse...right?

TIA for advice!

Gina and Elizabeth (1/3/03)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 5:13pm
Yes, you are doing fine.. you're offering, and that's a good thing. If she begins to prefer her fist, or you start having trouble with her balking or being to "busy" to nurse, you may try using nursing necklace so she can fiddle with it while bfing :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 7:28pm
I worry too, about offering the breast so much. Nicolas is 3 months old and also sucks on his fist all the time. But he's gaining weight, and super healthy!

All we can do is our best!

Hugs, Margaret