Help - baby with stomach virus !!

iVillage Member
Help - baby with stomach virus !!
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 5:02pm
My dd is 5 months old. She has caught her brother's stomach virus. She is vomiting and has major diarrhea (7 times today). When I tried to nurse her last, she overate and just vomited - not spit up. Ds did this when he drank too much also, so I know it's what happened.

Her pediatrician recommended 1 ounce pedialyte every hour, and for her to nurse if she was interested. I asked if I should pull her off after a few minutes and then put her back on the same side (for up to 2 hours) after 10-15 minutes, so she wouldn't get too much in her stomach at once, and he thought it was a good idea.

Her broher had to get IV fluids (wasn't admitted, just went to the ER) from dehydration from this, so I know that it can be really bad. I just want to make sure she's getting enough, but not so much that she can't take it.

We will be bringing her in tomorrow to make sure she's hydrated - are the steps I'm taking up there with the Pedialyte and nursing ok?

Thanks.

Lisa

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 5:09pm
Lisa,

Bfing does more than pedialyte.. here's more:

http://www.kellymom.com/meds/baby-illness.html

Hope baby is better very soon! :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 7:47pm
Thanks! We will continue to monitor her/take her for hydration check if she has a lot of vomiting or diarrhea, but won't start pedialyte unless necessary.