HELP!!! No poops for 5 days Is this ok?

iVillage Member
HELP!!! No poops for 5 days Is this ok?
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 6:49pm
My daughter is 7 weeks old, and is exclusively breastfed. Her last poop was on Monday in the wee hours of the morning, and here it is Friday night, and she hasnt' gone again!! I brought her to the Dr's, where they assured me this was normal, but IS IT REALLY? This never happened with my older daughter, and I am just worried. She has no fever, eats well (actually feedings are closer than before..now every 2 1/2 hours instead of 3 1/2 or 4), seems happy most of the time, and sleeps well (as well as a 7 week old sleeps..lol) I just want to know that I am not alone...the Dr's made it sound like it's totally normal, and almost expected to have a poop strike! HELP!

Thanks!

Jolene

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 7:11pm
My pediatrician told me the same thing when one of my boys didn't have a poop in 4 days (his twin brother did almost in every diaper change and both are breastfed). She told me anyway to use one of those glycerine suppositories, I guess to calm me down, because with time I got used to have him poop every 3 days only.

Dana
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 9:23pm
Yep it's pretty normal for a breastfed baby. Breastmilk is really well digested. As long as the baby is nursing often and noy dehydrated, all is well. Does baby show any signs of pain/constipation?

If constipated, a nurse suggested first massage, second a sip or two of water or sugar water. Personally, I found that nursing got her belly moving.

hugs trish

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 4:38pm
Normal! My ds (8 wk) did that and then went back to pooping every day. Nothing changed on our schedule or diet, so I don't know what the deal was. And boy oh boy, watch out for that first poo after not having gone for a few days! :-p