Writing apprenticeship?

iVillage Member
Writing apprenticeship?
Sat, 11-18-2006 - 8:57am

I'm reading this cool book written by Sussah Sheffer, a woman who edited an unschooling magazine Growing Without Schooling in the 90s. Called "Writing Because We love to: Homeschoolers are work," she discusses the apprenticeship model of writing. She worked with several writers aged 10-14 in this model, explicitly avoiding acting as teacher (in the school sense of the word) with them. Reading this book has made me wonder if I would benefit from finding such a situation. I recently rejoined Erotica Readers & Writers Association, but I haven't gotten much from it and I'm seriously debating whether I have the time/interest to rejoin the part of the list where people post writing and are given comments/critiques.

The main thing that's been dominating my mind on writing is getting back to my novels. But I'm unsure if I should go back to the first one and try to *carve* it into *chapters*. Or if I should go back fresh writing at the end of my material. Either way, I know I can't just post on this board *much of the material violates the TOS) or post over at ERWA (I don't need/want just random comments on this writing, but from people who understand the particular niche market that is my audience). Having stepped away from ERWA for this past year and a half so I could *find my stride* with homeschooling, I've lost touch with most of the erotica writers I'd been dialoguing with comfortably.

But I'm wondering really, not just in my genre, but in all writing genres, has anyone had experience with an apprenticeship?

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to an

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-18-2006 - 9:05pm

Joelle, if I remember correctly, Linda on the Writing Life board works with a co-writer. She could probably be of some help.

Pat

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-19-2006 - 1:26pm

The closest thing to an apprenticeship that I've experienced is posting work at iVillage.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-19-2006 - 2:08pm

I did lurk some at ERWA. I've already rejoined one of their email lists, but need to rejoin the rest, I think. Going to do that now in another window lol

Part of my problem is I have so many readers who are *just* readers, with little to no experience with writing.

Well on the chapters, I've decided to leave as is. I found I've put "breaks" into the mss in regular places, although the page lengths don't look like *most books*.

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-20-2006 - 12:53am

I'm like Lynda, I've posted work and had critique partners.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-20-2006 - 9:11am
you know, after reading this thread, I'm starting to think it's just more critique partners that I want, tho that book makes writing apprenticeship sound so neat.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to an

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-21-2006 - 1:11am

A good critique partner is like a blessing.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-21-2006 - 9:48pm

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to an

Love and Light, Joelle