Thinking ahead, top tether points

iVillage Member
Thinking ahead, top tether points
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 1:27pm
In our 1990 F-150 we obviously don't have top tether points. I have tried Google-ing where they would be put in at and can't find anything. I have been finding other years where people say they are on the back of the bench seat and where there is a corporate program where I might not have to pay for it, depending on if the program is still in place. The reason I started thinking about this is I only have 10lbs, but I just measured and I have more inches than I thought, in his TF, its about 10 inches. And I'm rambling a little, sorry, but I'm wanting to know if anyone has any ideas about where they would get put in. I know I need to contact a dealership about it, and I will be when we get a little closer to needing it in his Scenera (his spare seat). Thanks if you managed to get through that and any ideas :)
Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 9:32am

I have a 97 Venture Van. We had to have the tethers installed by the dealer. Usually the auto maker will have a spot the dealer should install them and I think they may not be able to install them any other place then where the automaker tells them to. I know we dropped off our van and said we needed tether anchors and they placed them on the floor behind the middle row outboard seats.

The dealer should know and if they don't know they should be able to find out where they should be placed. I have no idea if you'll have to pay for them or not. We had ours installed when our twins were little (12 yrs ago?) and we were not charged at the Chevy dealership.

Cathie, mom to Audrey & Emily 12 yrs, Libby 2 yrs
Cathie, mom to Audrey & Emily 12 yrs, Libby 2 yrs
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 8:25pm

In all of our newer Super Duty's the top tether anchors were behind the back of the bench seat. I think we'd put the car seat on the back seat push it forward unlatch the back of the bench seat attach the tether very loose click the seatback

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 10:30pm
I would get more than one if it was worthwhile to do so. Its not an extended cab, so there is only one seat, and its a manual. Installing a seat in the middle position is...difficult at best, given how far the stick moves to shift. If I were to put a seat there, even FF, the stick would hit the seat and the child's feet. So outboard passenger is the only place I can install a seat in this vehicle. So I only need one tether point, if it is installed in the frame of the vehicle like yours, rather than in the actual bench. The reason I say this is some of what I was Google-ing sounded like if it was the actually seat (not the frame of the truck) you would wind it through the outboard one and clip it to the middle one. Guess I'm gonna have to contact my dealership to find out 100%.
Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket