two scenarios...needing recommendations

iVillage Member
two scenarios...needing recommendations
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 8:21pm

Hello ladies- long time lurker here....so let me say thank you for all the advice (past and present!)

Here is the scenario- my mom is looking to get a car seat to have for my DD. We have two ways to do it...she will either buy one to have in her car or buy one to put in our car and take our current seat.

We currently are using an Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3 in 1 seat. This is not my favorite seat to say the very least but it's done it's job and at least fits in our car. (we drive a 2001 Kia Sephia- it does have latch- but the back seat is narrow so it's a challenge to fit,especially when rear facing)

My mom is driving a 1998 ford Taurus with no latch.

My DD is roughly 29 lbs and 34.5 inches tall right now.

We are hoping to make this a cheaper purchase if at all possible especially if it's just a "grandma car seat"

So I am looking for your opinions.
Is there a seat that might fit my car better and I can give my mom the Eddie Bauer?

Or am I better off getting something like a cosco and just putting it in my moms car?

Again I thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Maternity tickers

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 9:34pm
I have a couple questions for you.Is your dd rear or forward facing?Also where are her shoulders in relation to the top slots?If she is rear facing then I would recommend other seats then if she is forward facing.If she is forward facing a good inexpensive seat is the Evenflo Maestro. It costs about 80 dollars and is a narrow seat. It goes to 50 with a 5pt harness then becomes a booster seat but not a very tall one.I would use that one in your car and put the Eddie Bauer in Grandmas car since you don't care for that seat and it won't be used that often.
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 10:44pm

I knew I was going to forget some info :0)

She is Forward facing now and the straps are at their highest position (another reason to start looking for more).

I will check out the Maestro thanks!

and EB is cosco? I don't know how I missed that *laughs* thought it was a different company.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Maternity tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 12:15am

I don't think a Cosco Scenera would be worth the cost for the limited amount of time you could use it.

I'm surprised that your DD is outgrowing the EB this quickly. She doesn't sound particularly tall, but she might have a super long torso. How much space is above her head in the EB? If she has an inch or more of hard shell above her head, you can safely use it rear-facing. She is below the weight limit for rf (35lbs) and the harness should be AT or BELOW her shoulders.

Have you seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U. I'm not sure when you moved your DD forward-facing, but she would still be safer in the rear-facing position. This will also buy you some time so you don't have to get two new seats right away.

Your mom needs to get top tethers added to her car. She should be able to call the Ford dealership to get them added. I know Ford was doing it for free in the past, but I'm not sure if they still do it for free.

Until your mom gets top tethers added to her car, the only safe way for our DD to be in that car is in the rear-facing position. For a while, I thought that top tethers just made the car seat more secure and a little safer. But from reading more and hearing what CPSTs are saying, the top tether is extremely important in protecting children. The CPSTs were saying they would never allow their