RF in pacifica...

iVillage Member
RF in pacifica...
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 1:12pm
Hi all, you've helped before numerous times and I know you'll be of great assistance again! I have a very sweaty kid, and it doesn't help that I live in Arizona and it's typically about 110 degrees in the summer. I drive an 04 chrysler pacifica and my 3yo son is still RF. However, as much as I'd like to keep him that way even longer, he sweats soooooo bad back there because the AC doesn't reach him when he faces backwards. I don't know what to do, do other people have this issue? I'm leaning towards turning him FF even though I don't want to. But every time I get him out of the car it looks like he's gone swimming! haha Ideally I'd get a new car with better air vents in the back seat but I'm trying to look for a cheaper alternative... haha

Photobucket

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 1:34pm

What car seat? What does the cover feel like? What position in the car? Have you tried different car seats? What have you tried to do to keep him cooler in the car? Where are the AC vents in your car? Any in the second row?

I also live in a hot area. It's actually been unseasonably cool this summer which means we haven't had as many over 100 degree days as usual.

Let's see if we can figure out some ideas for you.

09-Melanie.jpg Isabelle and Marcus picture by MathMelanie

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 2:08pm

I guess I left out a few important details, huh? Sorry about that...

Okay, I have 3 rows of seating but his seat (evenflo triumph advance) is RF behind the passenger seat in the 2nd row. There are only 2 AC vents for the WHOLE back two rows and they are located on the back of the arm rest/storage compartment in the middle of the front two seats.. if that makes sense.

I haven't really "tried" anything to keep him cooler... other than giving him a sippy of ice water. Not sure what else I can do!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 2:41pm

So if you had people in the 3rd row they would not have much air.Can you adjust the vents?I know with my hubbies XTerra we point the side vents in the front up to bounce the air off the celing. If you can I would do that as well as use the side vents in the front seat to bounce off the ceiling. Also I live in North Texas so we have rough summers too. I use a sunshade in the front window and that helps.Also you could put a towel on his car seat when he isn't using it.Another thought is you could give him a wet cold wash cloth to play with. Show him how to wipe his face off with it.Also there are also window clings that are shades that static to the window. Don't use the suction cup style as they can be a projectile in the car. Dawn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260527416528&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=c44bf79612a0a0e202425082ff09948b&rvr_id=132177507125&ua=L*F%3F&itemid=260527416528

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 4:12pm
I guess I lied when I said I haven't tried anything, we do have the sun shade on the front window when were at the store or parked somewhere besides in the garage, but the problem is even when were driving and I can't use a shade on the windshield he just sweats like crazy. I have sun shade tint sheets on the back windows, which may help but not enough. The wet wash cloth and turning the vents toward the ceiling could work. I'm going to get my ac serviced this week and see if it helps make it any cooler. Anyone else driving a pacifica deal with this?

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 10:41pm
Don't have a Pacifica, but I do have a LO in a cranial re-molding helmet that I have had to keep cool all summer (w/o AC in the house). One thing I did on a really hot trip was put a flexible icepack behind his back. It was quite thin, I didn't have to adjust the tightness of my straps, but then he also wasn't wearing a shirt either. That's another thought, and I also cover his seat with a white towel whenever he isn't in it.
Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket