Nautilus question.

iVillage Member
Nautilus question.
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 3:17pm

I emailed Graco, but I thought I'd ask here too. I looked through my Nautilus manual and don't see where is specifically says I can't do it- but it doesn't say you can use the Nautilus as a LATCHable booster either.

I read online that you can leave the Nautilus LATCH'ed when using it as a booster. Can you also leave the harness in if you don't use it at the same time as the seatbelt-KWIM? Here is what I would like to do- if it's safe. I usually only drive 1 or 2 of the kids around at a time, but it can be any combination of my 6, 5 or 3 year olds. The 5YO is big for his age and the 3YO is on the small side, so they don't use the same harness height. I would like to set the harness for my 3YO and LATCH the Nautilus in. Then it's all set for him to use. I could put my 5YO in the seat (sitting on "top" of the harness), adjust the headrest and use it as a booster for him, without having to take the thing apart and rethread the harness. Especially since we live outside of Buffalo, NY and it's COLD in the winter and I usually would have to change the seat up on the fly- so to speak. I can put a HBB on the other side of the back seat for my 6YO- or I can use that for my 5YO if the 3YO is in the Nautilus. Then I could transport any combination of the three boys with the seats I own, and without having to reconfigure anything. I figured I could put a cheap LBB in the trunk for my 6YO, just in case I had no choice but to sqeeze all 3 in, if something came up. Will this work????

Thanks-

Melissa 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 4:23pm
Ok I have some questions for you. Is this for a car that all 3 kids never ride in together?I would call Graco and ask them this question, not just e-mail. I don't think you can use latch in booster seat mode.I do get what you are saying. Keep the 5 pt harness on and use it as a booster seat.Also even if you could use latch with the booster seat it has weight limits 40 -48 lb depending on the car.Also what seats do you have for your 5 year old? Also I am confused why would you have to reconfigure the seats?Do you take all the seats out often?That really isn't preferable for a 5pt harness seat as each time they are taken out and reinstalled increase the misuse rate. Dawn
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 4:46pm

It is a very rare situation when all 3 have to ride together in my car. I did try to get 3 across and it was very tight- which made the boys a nuisance and a driving hazard! Since all 3 very seldom ride together it doesn't seem to make sense to squish 3 seats in there all the time and kill my hand trying to buckle the booster. I thought it was better to email Graco, so that I

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 5:06pm
What type of car do you have?If it is a Honda then they only have a 40lb limit on there latch.Most other cars have 48.So if your 5 year old is over 48 lbs then you can't use the Nautilus with latch with him.Well lets hope they are good at e-mailing. Could you trade cars if you have all 3?Not all booster seats are used with latch.The seats you mentioned are the only ones that allow it.I know I have seen that the Graco Nautilus can be used with the top tether.I would wait till you receive conformation with Graco before you use it that way. Dawn
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 9:24am
It's a Ford Fusion. I would never use the seat like that until I had confirmed that it was safe.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 9:40am
Latch works like a seat belt securing the car seat to the car.The top tether keeps a booster seat from moving around in the car.Most booster only seats do not have the option of a top tether. I saw your link below. If your 5 year old is 46 lbs then you only have 2 more lbs left for him to use the latch system in your car. So it could be any day or a year before that happens.Just know that your latch has a 48 lb limit. After that even if Graco says yes you can keep the 5 pt harness in and use latch in booster mode you don't have long to do so.So I personally would just switch cars if you had the oldest 2 going somewhere with you.When mine where younger and in 5pt harness we just did that.It was cheaper and easier. Dawn
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 10:47am

I get what you are saying, but the LATCH would only be used when my 3YO (30lbs) is using the harness. When my 5YO would sit in the seat, he wouldn't use the harness, it would be used in booster mode- so the vehicle seat belt would be restraining him and the booster- just as it would in any other booster or an adult, so the LATCH limit wouldn't really apply.

When we know ahead of time, we try to match the minivan to whoever has the most kids. But sometimes it just doesn't work out, or we didn't know in advance, or we have

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 10:55am
Oh I get it. I thought you where wanting to keep the seat latched in and use the seatbelt over it.I get it. Ok I have heard of people in a pinch keep the 5 pt harness in and use this type of seat like as booster seat. I now I have seen on hear that the top tether can be used on booster seat mode. Ok got it. Dawn
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 11:53am

In theory, I think this is a great idea. I just don't know if it would be safe. Wouldn't it be great if someone made a seat specifically to be used like you are suggesting? Something that could be easily adjusted harness height wise and that could be quickly switched from harness to booster.

Please let us know what Graco says.

09-Melanie.jpg Isabelle and Marcus picture by MathMelanie

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 3:09pm

Here is the response from Graco:

I do not see in the manual that the child cannot sit on the harness, however it is designed to be removed when using as a booster. We do not recommend using Nautilus in the booster mode without following the harness removal instructions. We are not aware of any specific hazard, but because we have not evaluated or tested this scenario, we cannot recommend it.