Looking for a new seat, need advice

iVillage Member
Looking for a new seat, need advice
Sun, 09-05-2010 - 5:57pm

DD is 4.5 years old, and petite.  Probably 40ish" and ~32 pounds or so fully clothed.  She's in a Nautilus for my minivan.  It used to reside in my DH's car, but she wanted in mine so we switched.  So a Britax Decathalon in is DH's car.  The Decathalon was purchased when she was 4-5 months old, and it has gotten the brunt of the use over the years.  I was in DH's car the other day, and noticed it was quite difficult to adjust her straps.  I know other people have had issues with this, but I never did as long as it was in my car.  I am not sure what's going on with it.

Is it time to look for another seat?  She doesn't ride much in the Decathalon...maybe 1-2x a month if that.   I was thinking about looking into another Nautilus for his car because I like that it would probably be her last seat. 

We have anoter daughter who is 6 months old, and she's in a Graco SN35, and will be for a while.  I will probably put her in a Graco My Ride 65 when she outgrows her seat.  I was thinking that I would put her in the Decathalon, but I don't like that the straps are giving me trouble now.  Besides, it would have to be replaced after a year or less anyway.

DH drives a Hyundai Elantra.  The car seat goes on the outboard passenger side.  What do you recommend me doing?  Does it matter about the straps since this car seat is used so little?  DH has never mentioned it.  He had the Nautilus in his car for a long while before we made the switch, so he knows the difference.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 12:21am

We just had this issue today with our secondary car and so I'll tell you what we're going to do - and what I'd recommend you do too.

I would start by taking the Decathlon out and seeing if there is an issue with the straps. Maybe rethread it to see if something is catching somewhere and if you can just fix the issue.

If you can't find anything wrong and it's still a problem, call Britax about the problem. See what they say. I know there were some people who had their seat replaced by Britax a few years ago.

If you can fix the seat, I'd just use it for your DD for the next year until it expires. Otherwise, the MyRide would be a good choice. I'd also put the Radian, Complete Air, First Years True Fit, and the Evenflo Triumph 65 on my short recommended list.

If you need to buy a new seat for your ODD, I'd suggest looking at the Evenflo Maestro. It would work as well as the Nautilus, but it's smaller and less expensive. It won't last long as a booster seat since it doesn't have the adjustable headrest like the Nautilus, but you could then just buy a hbb or nbb when your DD outgrows the seat.