Harnessed Booster vs Fwd Facing Car Seat

iVillage Member
Harnessed Booster vs Fwd Facing Car Seat
Sun, 09-05-2010 - 10:36pm
So we were out shopping tonight and looking at car seats for our baby due in december.....what is the primary difference between a 'harnassed booster' Which appears to be marketed as a booster with a harness.....and a forward facing carseat that also has a harness? Beyond of course the fact that most carseat are convertible from rear to forward facing....is there really any other difference?

Photobucket

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 12:13am

I think most currently available

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 4:48pm

No, we were looking for a convertible seat, and saw the 'harnessed booster' And I was just confused as to what the benefit of them would be.....over a convertible seat in the forward facing setting.

We actually are planning to do an infant seat in the beginning, for ease of getting baby in and out of the car in a Minnestoa winter.....but will probably switch to a rear facing convertible at some point in the first 6 months probably.....

And oh yes...my family all think I'm terribly overprotective in this arena....I kept my older 2 kids (13 and 10, but roughly the same size) in boosters until just recently, and all the while, my crazy SIL (who is a nurse) kept telling me it was a crock and just a money making racket for the car seat companies LOL......

In any case, it's been so long since I've bought a car seat, I would love suggestions on a convertible....Why should I avoid the 3-in-1 models? We were thinking of getting one, but then I was thinking by the time baby is big enough for the booster the seat would be old and we might want/need a new one anyway......

I drive an '08 Town and Country, baby would likely be behind the driver's seat so that older kids can get in and out easier (from the passenger side) during school pick up and drop off....but I am short so I don't have the seat pushed all that far back, but this is a concern. And yes we plan to RF beyond a year. Any suggestions would be great, or even a starting point on what to look for.

Thanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 6:03pm

In terms of safety, a harnessed booster and a forward-facing convertible both pass the same tests. The results aren't released so we don't know if one is really safer than the other one. Some parents move from a seat with a 40lb limit to a harnessed booster so they can keep their children harnessed longer. My DS hit 40lbs when he was just turned 3, so definitely too young and immature