unsure: seat for grandma's car

iVillage Member
unsure: seat for grandma's car
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 9:32am

hello i haven't posted here in a while but we're in a bit of a dilemma and this is the first place i came...

grandma wants to get DS1 a seat for her car (a PT cruiser, not sure of the year) but she's really only interested in getting him this EvenFlow
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Big-Kid-Booster-Seat/14324536
or
Cosco Pronto
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Pronto-Booster-Ore/14005468

these are pretty cheap seats and use the seat belt, no harness. our son meets the minimum weight requirement to only be in a seat belt but it makes me uncomfortable for him not to be in a harness. ugh, i don't know what to do? this kinda stuff always happens and i come across as a jerk for not going along with what she wants. are these seats safe? he'll only be in it a few times a year.

what about this cosco one, and we'll just pay the difference and not tell her. the description kinda confuses me though. does the harness go to 80 pounds?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-High-Back-Booster-Car-Seat-Parker/13373503

or can you lovely ladies direct me to a safe seat in the $50ish range. she gave us a check for $40, we can afford to pay a little over that but not too much, our budget is really tight.

thanks

Photobucket Image Hosting

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Image Hosting

Photobucket

Photobucket Image Hosting Photobucket Image Hosting

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

cc

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 9:44am

How old is your ds? The MINIMUM requirements for a high-back booster (hbb) using a seat-belt only is 4 YEARS and 40#. However, the weight requirements can be confusing because some hbb state on their boxes, 30-100#. Basically that would be for a really light 5 or 6 year-old, NOT a 30# 2, 3, or 4 year-old. Anyway, if I were you, I would consider an Evenflo Meastro for your ds. It is a harness seat to 50# then becomes a hhb til 100#. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04988642000P?vName=Baby&cName=BabyGear&Travel=&sName=Car%20Seats&ci_src=64119933&ci_sku=04988642000P&sid=IAx20090815x000001&aff=Y

HTH,

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 11:49am

thanks so much for writing me back so quickly!
and yes my son is 2.5 yo and somewhere over 30 pounds. he hasn't had an appointment recently so i'm not exactly sure how much he weighs, maybe about 35.
just so i can answer MIL (and i'm sure she'll ask) who's minimum requirement is 4 yo for the seat belt?
we're going to get the seat you recommended. i found it on amazon for $59 with free shipping. we were hoping to get it somewhere where we could have it shipped to a store so that they wouldn't know we bought a more expensive one but the amazon price is so good, what can you do?

thanks again.

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

cc

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 1:53pm

I'm glad you're going with the Maestro! Make sure you give your MIL a step by step lesson on how she needs to buckle your son.. chest clip at armpit level, harness tight enough so that you can't pinch an inch, etc.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 6:24pm

The Maestro is an excellent choice. Great price too!

Definitely tell your MIL that the MINIMUM age is 4 years old for a booster seat. I think you'll need to let your MIL know that he'll be using this seat until he outgrows it and then he can go to a booster seat. I'm sure you are the type of parent who doesn't just want to do the minimum for your child when you know that there are safer choices.

You might also want to check out www.kyledavidmiller.org. There is a lot of information about why a 5pt harness is safer. I'm sure Belle's story in particular will touch you. If you MIL wants more information, you can also send her this link or have her watch the Belle's Gift video.

HTH

09-Melanie.jpg Isabelle and Marcus picture by MathMelanie

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 6:50pm

thanks Meghan and Melanie.
i knew i didn't want Sam to be without a harness but hadn't heard/read the limit of 4 yo. i thought it was based on height and weight (where the belt hit their body).

when car seat issues had come up before she would get so funny about it but it certainly doesn't matter to me. like when Sam was little she wanted to use this crazy old hand-me-down car seat from her neighbor and i said NO WAY. not only that i made her destroy it and put it in the dumpster. she acted very strange about it and just couldn't understand, no matter how many different ways i tried to explain it, why you shouldn't use old car seats.

anyway thanks again for the good recommendation. we have a Graco Nautilus so he'll be in a harness for a long time no matter what the minimum laws are in Pa.

thanks again.

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

cc

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 10:01am
One way I explained seats expiring to my mother was I asked if she had ever picked up a REALLY old plastic cup or container and had it break as soon as she did, or as soon as she tried to put something in it. She (thankfully) said yes, and I explained that with an expired seat the same thing could happen if it were to be in a crash. It made sense to her, maybe it could help you explain things to your MIL.
Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 11:18am
that's kinda the same thing i said to my parents.
i said "we all know plastic gets brittle in the sun, now imagine plastic constantly sitting in the extreme temps of a car". my parents agreed to that. MIL said it made sense but i don't think she really bought it. i think the thing that hangs her up is that SO many people don't know about this and if it were true everyone would follow it and you wouldn't be able to get old seats at second hand stores and people wouldn't pass seats around.
if only that were true!

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

cc

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 11:25am
I know that feeling, which brings to mind the saying "well if So-and-so where to jump off a cliff, would you?" Hopefully she will at least do as you ask and keep him harnessed as long as possible :)
Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 2:31pm

I have the same issue with MIL too - she bought a used Carseat from a 2nd hand shop - and I explained why she couldn't use it w/dd. She got all upset - then my cousin via marriage (MIL's niece though marriage) looked at her in HORROR and commented - "Why would you even consider putting Kaleigh in that type of danger? You don't know anything about that carseat - just b/c it looks ok doesn't mean it hasn't been in a car accident or is expired"

now MIL Listened to my cousin via marriage - but wouldn't listen to me....but then again I'm the shrewish DIL! LOL!

good on you - for picking a safe seat for Sam!
gigi

CHECK OUT MY BLOG:
http://sunvalleysoul.blogspot.com/