Question about Quickbook QBNW agency

iVillage Member
Question about Quickbook QBNW agency
Tue, 02-28-2006 - 10:15am

Hi ladies-

First off let me say that I am NEW to this whole thing and it was my moms idea for me to let her try this.  The closest cities for us are Pittsburgh and Phili so I have not gone to a local agency (about 2 hours away).

My mom sent my daughters (will be age 3 in April) snapshot into an agency that is online.  It is called QuickBook Nationwide - Worldwide.  After 4 separate reviews by 4 agents she was accepted. .  The agency is online at www.qbnw.com and they accept a minimal amount of clients per year.

Have any of you ever heard of them?  They do not charge for composites, any other pictures, or portfolio.  They print and provide the Zed Cards, composites and sends them to you for free.  They send out the cards to agencies for them to review for clients.  This is supposed to get you more exposure than a single agency.  In order to be sure that clients show up for bookings they do charge a one time insurance fee of $189.00.  That's it.  Is this a racket?  Is that normal?  THey say that it is to cover the online listing of 2 photos which is a fee for online of about $15 a month. 

HELP, I don't want to do anything silly or stupid.  I'd rather she do nothing if they aren't reputable or look elsewhere.

TY TY in advance. 

RobinJack.gif

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Lilypie Baby Ticker

statepenna11.gifdaughter_2.gif

Edited 2/28/2006 10:20 am ET by karleydawn

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-28-2006 - 1:01pm

Hi Robin-

I have looked into QuickBook. I have never heard of them, maybe someone else here has had experience with them. My initial thoughts are that with a legitimate agency, if you are put on their website or a casting website, there is not a monthly fee...it is a one time fee. If they are charging you $15 per month, that is $180 per year. That is not how it works with a legitimate agency. Imagine how much money they are making getting that from everyone that signs up! The fact that they don't charge for any pictures and print the ZED cards and give them to you for free is also a big red flag for me. You should not be spending thousands on pictures and printing, but it is something that is a normal expense and to be expected going into the business. I honestly feel this is a scam! Here is a link I found by doing a search on google that is a poster asking about the company and the response they were given. I think the responder had some good thoughts and info to read
http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/qbnw.html

They are not a member of BBB and I only found 1 complaint. They also do business by the name of an advertising company. The best way to get started is to look for legit agents through the SAG website www.sag.org You can look up the two cities closest to you. Keep in mind if you do get signed you will need to be able to drive to either city at the drop of a hat for an audition. It is not uncommon to get a call at 8 in the morning for an audition 2 hrs. later. The bottom line is that Quickbook makes it seem like you just sit back and the calls will come in and you will be working. Unfortunately that is not the case. A news report that talked about kids in the industry said that the average child will go on 80 something auditions before booking a job. Obviously this is not the rule and there are a lot of kids out there that book within the first couple of auditions....but there are also those that don't. I am not trying to discourage you by any means, I just think that becoming involved in the business requires as much knowledge as possible so bad and unsafe situations can be avoided and also so you will not end up unnecessarily losing your hard earned money. Please let me know if you have any questions at all. I do hope some of the other wonderful and experienced moms on the board will reply to your post...Good luck...

Image hosting by Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-28-2006 - 1:18pm

Thanks for your informative reply.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-28-2006 - 4:02pm

Hi there and welcome ...

I'll second everything Amanda said and just add a couple more things ...

Their whole website revolves around getting talent to sign up with them. With most legit agencies, finding submission information on their sites isn't so blatant ... it's more like an afterthought, not the whole kielbasa.

If they send you out on auditions, where are they sending you? If you're in Arizona, getting you auditions in New York really isn't going to do much good. (Or something to that effect ... I'm sure you get my point. That's what I've always wondered about with these "internet agencies".)

And finally, your daughter is a cutie!! Good luck with sending pics in ... and keep us updated!! :-)