Does this happen often?

iVillage Member
Does this happen often?
Mon, 03-13-2006 - 8:02pm

So...Rudy did the cover of the Play Doh box last fall, he posted as the "Barber" in the Fuzzy Pumper Barber shop. They raved about how cute he was and how great he did. He got awesome pictures and we couldn't wait to see how the box turned out. Now for 6 months, Rudy has been looking and looking at Toys R Us. We finally see the new boxes this week and it's another child!!! ARGGGG...same exact pose, barber jacket and everything! What gives?? This is SO discouraging to a 6 year old boy! Anyone?

Kerrie....*sorry* Blowing off a little steam!

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-13-2006 - 9:30pm
I feel your pain...this happens to all of us, and sometimes many times! Especially with the younger set, it is very common to shoot several kids for the same ad. The picking of another child probably had more to do with marketing than with how cute your child is, or how well he/she did. The upside to all of this is that it could be that the client will remember your child and book him for another job in the future.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-13-2006 - 9:43pm

Thanks for the FB Heidi...it's so hard to explain this to him! They want to see some sort of gratification for all their hard work. Just stinks! I'll keep your thoughts in mind and hope to be remembered by this client again!

Kerrie

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-13-2006 - 10:34pm

Hi Kerrie-

So sorry to hear about your frustration.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-14-2006 - 4:22pm

This happened a lot of times with us. Jacob used to book a lot with Safety 1st. He did great, got great photos and never made the final print. Hang in there, it will happen.

Robyn

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-14-2006 - 9:30pm

Thanks for your FB Amanda...I feel a little better now knowing that my poor DS is not the only one this has happened to but man, what a let down for the little guy! We'll keep our chin up and keep pounding the pavement until the next gig comes around :)

Kerrie...mom to Rudy (almost7)and Emma (5)

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-14-2006 - 9:32pm

Thanks Robyn for taking the time to post. I'm glad we are not alone in this...as much as it annoys me!!

Kerrie...mom to Rudy (almost 7) and Emma (5)

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-15-2006 - 12:09am
Just thought I'd post to say I'm sorry for your little guy, we've been there too. It is frustrating when they do such a good job and then someone else is chosen for the actual product or ad. My daughter spent 2 hours at a shoot once for a Discovery Toys catalog and was no where to be seen inside the catalog when it came out. At the time she was too young to really care, but threre's always that chance that it could happen again. She did a shoot for a new Cranium game to be coming out later this year and she's supposed to be on the box cover. We're keeping our fingers crossed that they actually use her. Keep your spirits up, he'll be in print really soon.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-15-2006 - 7:57am

Or how about when you go flipping though the magazine that you & your child have been so anxiously waiting for to find out they only print her knees! That was a hard for her to take. I still sneer when ever I see the mommy & me magic stoller at TRU! Product shots stink. They are hard work and they usually are not good enough for the comp card anyway. As, it's all about the product and not the child.

Bottom line, you just can't count on what happens after the job is shot. Cash the check and enjoy being in the moment with your child. Obviously your child is a booker, bigger and better things are on there way.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-15-2006 - 12:06pm
The knees comment made me think about my dd's latest Pottery Barn Kids catalog shoot. The photo in the catalog is of the side and back of her, so you can't see her face. They are famous for that, it's all about the furniture and if your child's face can be seen, great, if not oh well, the desk looks good. Disappointing, but a reality.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-15-2006 - 1:09pm

your post made me do a double take.

xoxo Chelsea

Payton Wayne captured my heart forever on May 8th 2005

Visit Payton's Web Pa

Pages