I need suggestions for British phrases..

iVillage Member
I need suggestions for British phrases..
Sat, 03-25-2006 - 8:26am

My oldest booked a small part in an indie. She will be improvising an argument (comic) over a bicycle with an adult who is trying to steal it from her. She will win the tug of war, but has to argue with him in a British accent. We are looking for phrases that a ten year old girl might use that are more common to the "English" language. ie: she came up with "get your bloody hands off my bike you git" after watching Harry Potter. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!

PS - for anyone in the know, is "bloody" considered a swear?

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-26-2006 - 12:30am

Hi, I am from England.

I think the pharse your daughter came up with is pretty good but 'git' wouldn't commonly be used by a child to an adult (more among peers). How about 'oy mister, get your hands off my bike!' ? Maybe she could drop the 'h' from 'hands' if she wants a regional London accent? Also, 'bloody' is not polite but is not a swear word.
Hope all goes well,
V

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-26-2006 - 10:12am

Thanks, V!

That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I appreciate it!
Gigi

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-29-2006 - 9:24am

Reckon is a commonly used word in England.... Sir, i reckon you should take your bloody 'ands off my bike.

Good luck to her :o)

Hope you all are well!

Julie

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-29-2006 - 11:01am
Hi Julie -
Nice to hear from you!
Thanks, I like that suggestion. She has a rehearsal coming up next week sometime, they will shoot the following weekend.
Hope all is well and getting warmer in your slice of NE!
Gigi
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-29-2006 - 11:15am
Hey Gigi, my mom lives in England and I'll ask her for any other suggestions the next time I talk to her. I was going to call her today actually, so if she has any good lines I'll let you know.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-29-2006 - 3:09pm
Excellent!!
The scene is supposed to take place on the streets of London so I was hoping to have some authentic phrases to go with her adorable accent!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-29-2006 - 4:31pm
Congrats on the part!!!! I am orig. from England, but been a while since I've been! I think you've been given some great advice!!! The only other thing I could think of is that if it is more slang or Cockney maybe say me instead of my...not necessarily pronounced me with a long e...kwim??? Let us know how it goes!!!
Image hosting by Photobucket